Impact of comorbid psychiatric disorders on the outcome of substance abusers: a six year prospective follow-up in two Norwegian counties
- Aetiology of Secondary Depression in Male Alcoholics. Roy, Alec // British Journal of Psychiatry;Dec96, Vol. 169, p753
Background. Secondary depression is common among primary alcoholics. However, its aetiology is poorly understood. Method. Forty men with primary alcoholism, abstinent for two weeks or more, with a secondary major depressive episode were compared with forty matched never-depressed primary...
- Assessing Motivation to Change Among Problem Drinkers with and without Co-occurring Major Depression. Shields, Alan L.; Hufford, Michael R. // Journal of Psychoactive Drugs;Dec2005, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p401
The University of Rhode Island Change Assessment Scale (URICA) is a widely used measure of readiness to change. To evaluate the URICA's ability to discriminate among alcohol abusers with and without co-occurring major depression, the authors administered it to 193 outpatients court-referred for...
- Adolescent Depression, Alcohol and Drug Abuse. Deykin, Eva Y.; Levy, Janice C.; Wells, Victoria // American Journal of Public Health;Feb1987, Vol. 77 Issue 2, p178
The Diagnostic Interview Schedule was employed to ascertain the prevalence of major depressive disorder (MDD), alcohol and substance abuse in a sample of 424 college students aged 16 to 19 years. Applying DSM III criteria, the prevalence of MDD was 6.8 per cent; of alcohol abuse, 8.2 per cent;...
- Early Drug Use Associated with Later Mental Disorder. Miller, Karl E. // American Family Physician;3/15/2003, Vol. 67 Issue 6, p1354
Discusses the study 'Drug Use and the Risk of Major Depressive Disorder, Alcohol Dependence, and Substance Use Disorders,' by D.W. Brook et al., from the November 2002 issue of the 'Archives of General Psychiatry.'
- Paternal Alcoholism: Consequences for Female Children. Dehn, Julia // Forum on Public Policy: A Journal of the Oxford Round Table;2010, Vol. 2010 Issue 1, Special section p1
The consequences of substance abuse and addiction are profound and depredating. The desolation is incalculable in estimating the psychological damage and trauma inflicted on the children of addicted parents. According to studies and statistics gathered by the National Association for Children of...
- Prior alcohol abuse increases depression risk. Pinkowish, Mary Desmond // Patient Care;Nov2002, Vol. 36 Issue 13, p98
Presents a study on the role of prior alcohol abuse in the risk of major depression. Comparison of the risk in former drinkers and those who did not have a history of alcohol dependence.
- Double Trouble: Depression and Alcohol Abuse in the Adolescent Patient. Star, Jodi E.; Bober, Daniel; Gold, Mark S. // Psychiatric Annals;Jun2005, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p496
Discusses the occurrence of depression and alcohol abuse among adolescents. Behavioral concerns among adolescents; Prevalence of binge drinking and depressive illness among adolescents; Comparison of symptoms between depressive disorder and alcohol use disorder.
- Symposium 3, Sunday Sept. 23rd 2 pmâ€“3.30 pm; Room: Lecture Hall 3. // Alcohol & Alcoholism. Supplement;Sep2007 Supplement, Vol. 42, pi3
- Research: SCOTT and COLLEAGUES. SCOTT // Positive Health;Jul2014, Issue 215, p1
Background Prior studies on the depression-heart disease association have not usually used diagnostic measures of depression, or taken other mental disorders into consideration. As a result, it is not clear whether the association between depression and heart disease onset reflects a specific...