High effectiveness of self-help programs after drug addiction therapy
- adÂ·dicÂ·tion. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p4
Several definitions of the term "addiction" are presented. It refers to a physical or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, such as drugs or alcohol. It also refers to habitual or compulsive involvement in an activity, such as gambling.
- "You've Got to Stop.". Palmer, Nancy Doyle // Washingtonian Magazine;Feb2007, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p111
The article offers insights on how the process of intervention works when alcoholism or drug addiction take over the life of a person. Intervention is an orchestrated attempt by family, friends and coworkers to confront an addict and insist on immediate treatment. The traditional model for...
- ALCOHOLISM, The Thinking Disease. Digilio, G.-O. // Lesbian News;Mar2013, Vol. 38 Issue 8, p24
The author discusses attitude adjustments involved in recovering from addiction to drug or alcohol abuse. She contends that people drink or take drugs as an attempt to relieve their misery, and that many individuals mistakenly choose to stay in their unhappy state of mind. The need for a helper...
- Sobriety camp provides support. Narine, Shari // Alberta Sweetgrass;Jul2003, Vol. 10 Issue 8, p11
Reports on Gathering of Societies sobriety camp for rehabilitation of alcoholics and drug addicts at Buffalo Plains campground in Piikani Nation during June 25-29, 2003.
- THE EVOLUTION OF ADDICTION MEDICINE AND ITS SAN FRANCISCO ROOTS. Smith, David E. // Journal of Psychoactive Drugs;Jun2010, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p199
The author reflects on the evolution of addiction medicine and treatment of addictive diseases in the U.S. He muses on the roots of the concept of addiction as a disease ensued from widespread alcoholism and drug abuse. The author thinks that addiction medicine has made a major force in fighting...
- DRUG AND ALCOHOL PROBLEMS IN THE WORKPLACE IN ITALY. Bruno, Francesco // Journal of Drug Issues;Fall94, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p697
The workplace is, simultaneously, one of the least explored and most important areas where drug and alcohol problems occur. In this article some information on essential Italian features of this experience is collected and presented. According to this information, the nature and extent of drug...
- CHAPTER 42: ALCOHOL & DRUG ADDICTION. // Healthcare Business Market Research Handbook;2008, p169
Chapter 42 of "The 2008 Healthcare Business Market Research Handbook" is presented. It focuses on alcohol and drug addiction in the U.S. which leads to 25% to 40% of hospitalizations. It notes that the U.S. spends over $484 billion per year for substance abuse including healthcare expenditures,...
- From Addict to Athlete. Crandell, Todd; Hanc, John // Runner's World;Apr2006, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p31
The article relates the personal transformation of the author from being a drug and alcohol abuser to an athlete.
- Testing times. Willock, Rob // Contract Journal;1/21/2004, Vol. 421 Issue 6459, p40
Comments on the construction workers who tested positive for drugs or alcohol at Heathrow T5 in England. Ratio of companies that randomly test their staff for use of illegal drugs; Percentage of people between ages 16 and 59 who took at least one illegal drug; Effects of drugs which are...