Stigma in response to mental disorders: a comparison of Australia and Japan
- Predictors of Service Use and Social Conditions in Patients With Psychotic Disorders. Malla, Ashok K.; Norman, Ross M.G.; Scholten, Derek // Canadian Journal of Psychiatry;Apr2000, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p269
Objective: To determine independent predictors of outcome on 3 separate dimensions--namely, relapse and service use, employment, and living conditions--in patients with psychotic disorders.Method: One hundred and thirty-four patients, most with a diagnosis of schizophrenia or schizoaffective...
- PSICOPATOLOGÃA Y CEREBRO: DESDE LOS DEMONIOS A LOS NEUROTRANSMISORES. Freidin, Esteban; Fernández, Gerardo; Pitón, Daniel // Suma PsicolÃ³gica;sep2004, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p231
Mental disorders have always been a matter of social importance, and the way they have been conceptualized has varied in diverse historical times and contexts. However, since the second half of the 19th century, the idea that mental processes, either normal or abnormal ones, are brain processes,...
- Response to: comments on psychiarty and the control of dangerousness: on the apotropaic function of the term "mental illness". Szasz, T. // Journal of Medical Ethics;Aug2003, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p237
Presents a response to the comments on the article "Psychiatry and the Control of Dangerousness: On the Apotropaic function of the term "Mental Illness."
- Turning the tide. // New Zealand Doctor;3/23/2005, p10
Provides information on the Tidal Model which is use in the treatment of early stage mental illness. Features of the Tidal Model; Explanation on the holistic narrative; Web site address.
- PAPEL DE LA EXPERIENCE EN LA ACEPTACIÃ“N VS. RECHAZO DEL PACIENTE CON ESQUIZOFRENIA. Senra-Rivera, Carmen; de Arriba-Rossetto, Alessandra; Seoane-Pesqueira, Gloria // Revista Latinoamericana de PsicologÃa;2008, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p73
This research analyzes the influence of different types and degrees of experience with mental illness regarding acceptance vs. rejection of mental disorders and of the patient with schizophrenia. 236 university students were involved in the study by filling a social distance scale related with a...
- Documento ad usum et beneficium Curso de Enfermeiros. de Jesus Loureiro, Luís Manuel; Dias, Carlos Augusto Amaral; Aragão, Rui Oliveira // Revista de Enfermagem ReferÃªncia;dic2008, Issue 8, p87
The recent changes carried out to the level of mental and psychiatric health politics, visible in international and national different reports (OMS, 2001; CE, 2005; NCRMHS, 2007) recognize the stigma and discrimination associated to mental illness, perpetuated in stereotypes like dangerousness,...
- The effect of maternal common mental disorders
on infant undernutrition in Butajira, Ethiopia: The
P-MaMiE study. Medhin, Girmay; Hanlon, Charlotte; Dewey, Michael; Alem, Atalay; Tesfaye, Fikru; Lakew, Zufan; Worku, Bogale; Aray, Mesfin; Abdulahi, Abdulreshid; Tomlinson, Mark; Hughes, Marcus; Patel, Vikram; Prince, Martin // BMC Psychiatry;2010, Vol. 10, p32
Background: Although maternal common mental disorder (CMD) appears to be a risk factor for infant undernutrition in South Asian countries, the position in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) is unclear Methods: A population-based cohort of 1065 women, in the third trimester of pregnancy, was identified...
- The process of recovery of people with mental
illness: The perspectives of patients, family
members and care providers: Part 1. Noiseux, Sylvie; St-Cyr, Denise Tribble; Corin, Ellen; St-Hilaire, Pierre-Luc; Morissette, Raymond; Leclerc, Claude; Fleury, Danielle; Vigneault, Luc; Gagnier, Francine // BMC Health Services Research;2010, Vol. 10, p161
Background: It is a qualitative design study that examines points of divergence and convergence in the perspectives on recovery of 36 participants or 12 triads. Each triad comprising a patient, a family member/friend, a care provider and documents the procedural, analytic of triangulating...
- Efficacy of lifestyle interventions in physical health management of patients with severe mental illness. // Annals of General Psychiatry;2011, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p22
The article discusses several studies regarding physical health and life expectancy of patients with severe mental illnesses. It states that due to their relationship with mortality and morbidity, elements contributing to poor physical health among these patients are smoking, diabetes mellitus,...