Add-on topiramate reduces weight in overweight patients with affective disorders: a clinical case series
- Weighty matters. Herkes, Geoffrey K. // Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry;Jul2013, Vol. 84 Issue 7, p711
The article offers information on the study done by a researcher W.O. Pickrell and colleagues on the enhanced use of antiepileptic drug therapy for epilepsy and mood disorders. It mentions that use of antiepileptic drugs leads to increase in the weight of the patients which results in poor...
- Psychiatric Drugs And Weight Gain in Children. // Nutrition Health Review: The Consumer's Medical Journal;2010, Issue 102, p17
The article reports that according to recent research, some children and adolescents, who take psychiatric medications gain substantial amounts of weight. Christoph Correll and his team at Zucker Hillside Hospital in Glen Oaks, New York, have monitored 257 such children between the ages of 4 and...
- OBESITY. TATUM IV, WILLIAM O.; KAPLAN, PETER W.; JALLON, PIERRE // Epilepsy A to Z: A Concise Encyclopedia;2009, p238
An encyclopedia entry for "Obesity" is presented. It offers clinical information on obesity in relation to epilepsy. Obesity is said to be prevalent in the U.S. and is associated with various medical conditions such as hypertension, diabetes and cancer. Drugs that were found to promote weight...
- Antidepressant Weight Gain. // Mayo Clinic Women's Health Source;Dec2005, Vol. 9 Issue 12, p10
Reports that weight gain can be a side effect of antidepressants. Causes of weight gain; Ways of coping with increased appetite.
- Topiramate. // Reactions Weekly;Oct2015, Vol. 1572 Issue 1, p196
The article presents a case study of a 44-year-old man who developed hyperammonaemic encephalopathy leading to encephalopathy after being treated with topiramate for mood disorder.
- Comparative efficacy of antiepileptic drugs and lacosamide in patients with epilepsy due to an underlying brain lesion. Yadav, Jai Singh; Tripathi, Maheshwar Nath; Kaur, Samiksha; Singh, Tej Bali // Dysphrenia;2013, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p127
Aim: We aimed to compare the efficacy of other antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) to lacosamide (LCM) in patients with epilepsy due to an underlying brain lesion. Methods: Total fifty patients were screened for the study. The sociodemographic data, side effects, frequency of seizures recorded and...
- Topiramate. // Reactions Weekly;6/26/2004, Issue 1007, p17
Presents a case study of a boy who has developed a hypersensitivity reaction to topiramate. Side effects of the drug; Drugs that were added in the therapy to improve seizure control.
- Current Literature Antiepileptic Drugs: Don't Sweat It! French, Jacqueline A. // Epilepsy Currents;Jan2004, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p33
Ben-Zeev B, Watemberg N, Augarten A, Brand N, Yahav Y, Efrati O, Topper L, Blatt I J Child Neurol 2003;18:254â€“257 In a 6-year-old boy with partial complex seizures, recurrent episodes of hyperthermia developed 2 months after topiramate (TPM) was introduced into his antiepilepsy drug...
- Topiramate. // Reactions Weekly;4/5/2008, Issue 1196, p36
The article describes the case of a 4-year old child who developed hypohidrosis and experienced recurrent while receiving topiramate for focal-partial seizures cased by tuberculosis sclerosis. A negative sweat provocation test confirmed hypohidrosis in the patient. The child's symptoms resolved...