A Billion Callers By 2002
- Fueling A Surge In Directory Assistance. Mendez-Wilson, Deborah // Wireless Week;1/21/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p20
Predicts that directory assistance (DA) services tailor-made for wireless subscribers will flourish. U.S. wireless carriers that outsource DA services to Infonxx; Basis for predicting that DA call volumes will shift away from the landline arena toward wireless; Factor that is likely to drive...
- Cutting the Cord. Donohue, Jenny; Baldridge, John // Montana Business Quarterly;Summer2008, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p2
The article reports on the decrease in the use of landline as compared to the increasing number of cell phone users in the U.S. According to Geoffrey Feiss, general manager of the Montana Telecommunications Association, there has been a 2% to 7% decrease annually in its active lines. On the...
- We Need the Athletic Client. Gillot, Iain // Software Magazine;Summer2002, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p68
Comments on the need for an athletic client, a client environment on the mobile device that can use the power, bandwidth and memory available. Emergence of wireless local area network hotspots; Views on the wireless device client; Information on the thin mobile client.
- EAST MEETS WEST. Gubbins, Ed // Telephony;11/17/2003, Vol. 244 Issue 23, p25
Forecasts the growth of the mobile-phone market in China in 2007. Deployment of telecommunication networks in the country by Verizon Wireless; Preparation of carriers to roll out third-generation networks; Prospects for building a China Unicom in the U.S.
- Business briefs. // RCR;11/01/99, Vol. 18 Issue 44, p18
Presents a compendium of news items concerning the wireless communications industry. Includes the start of Authentix Inc.'s test on SimplySay 1.0, its voice-activated e-mail and wireless portal system; Telecommunications Industry Association's adoption of a wireless location standard, IS-801...
- World briefs. // RCR;11/01/99, Vol. 18 Issue 44, p26
Presents a compendium of news items concerning the wireless communications industry. Includes Motorola Inc.'s contract to provide Mobile Internet Exchange communications platform to Hungarian mobile operator Westel 900; Cable and Wireless PLC's sale of its shares in Israeli telecommunication...
- double or Nothing. McCall, Margo // Wireless Week;7/15/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 28, p22
Discusses vocoders that could enable global system for mobile communication carriers to double the capacity of their networks. Company that is expected to be the first wireless carrier in the world to roll out adaptive multi rate (AMR) vocoders; Suppliers of the AMR vocoders; Factor that is...
- Cloning, customer service...churn. Weaver, Heather Forsgren // RCR;02/21/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p12
Shares the author's experience of changing mobile telephone providers. Unpleasant encounter with the customer service department of the old provider; Factors that contributed to the author's decision to change providers.
- INDIA AND THE WIRELESS WORLD. Radhakrishna, T. // Siliconindia;Apr2001, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p52
Discusses the outlook for the wireless communications market in India. Reasons why wireless technology is not so popular in India; Factors contributing to the potential of wireless technology in India; Cellular service providers' introduction of short messaging system (SMS)-based services;...