Ruling strengthens states' taxing authority over tribal lands
- Memorandum on law enforcement in Indian Country. Clinton, William J. // Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents;9/1/97, Vol. 33 Issue 35, p1268
Presents the United States President's memorandum on law enforcement in Indian Country delivered on August 25, 1997. Increase in homicide rates among Indian citizens; Government's request for an increase in Department of the Interior funding and tribal control of law enforcement programs;...
- Construction work: The canons of Indian law. Minzner, Max // Yale Law Journal;Dec97, Vol. 107 Issue 3, p863
Analyzes the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal's ruling on the case `Alaska v. Native Village of Venetie' declaring Alaska's native villages as Indian country. Evidences showing that the court's reliance on the canon of construction was misplaced; Circuit court's interpretation of the Alaska...
- Cobell chatter: Most want monies given out. Ruckman, S. E. // Native American Times;9/21/2012, Vol. 18 Issue 37, p5
The author reflects on issues concerning the settlement of the 3.4 million U.S. dollars Eloise Cobell class action case for the Indian Country as of September 21, 2012 in the U.S.
- Idle No More events gathering steam in Oklahoma. KREHBIEL-BURTON, LENZY // Native American Times;1/25/2013, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p2
The article reports on the events gathering of the Idle No More movement held in Utica Square in Oklahoma, which aims to draw attention to issues facing Indian Country.
- Native American tribal lands: 1997. // Junior Scholastic;10/06/97, Vol. 100 Issue 3, p20
Presents information on the states where Indian tribes live in the United States. Names or the states.
- LET'S INTERPRET. // Seeing the Elephant: Voices from the Oregon Trail;2003, p170
The article presents quotes from Ezra Meeker on crime in Indian country, Amanda Gardner Johnson on buying slaves, and Spotted Tail on emigrants to the Indian Country.
- Tribal marijuana resorts should give pause to legislators. Kriewall, Garth // Grand Rapids Business Journal;11/2/2015, Vol. 33 Issue 44, p12
The author discusses the benefits offered by growing and selling marijuana on sovereign Indian Tribal lands in Michigan wherein sales and revenue of the product could be split between the government and the Tribes.
- INDIAN COUNTRY SHOPPING. // Native American Times;3/26/2010, Vol. 16 Issue 13, Special section p28
A list of Indian country shopping stores is presented which includes the Bah-Kho-Je Gallery, the Buffalo Sun, and the Cha Tullis Galleries.
- Mobilizing Communities to Reduce Substance Abuse in Indian Country. Ellis Jr., Bernard H. // Journal of Psychoactive Drugs;Jan-Mar2003, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p89
Introduces the substance abuse reduction efforts at Indian communities in the U.S. and in the border communities surrounding them. Implementation of a series of alcohol policy and programmatic reforms; Impact of substance abuse on Indian countries; Means of reducing substance abuse problems.