High court rejects challenge to IRS power to tax bonds
- Form 4868 funds characterized as deposit. Green Jr., Gary L. // National Public Accountant;Jul93, Vol. 38 Issue 7, p33
Justifies the action of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in treating the mailed remittance of a married couple as a deposit rather than a tax payment. Form 4868; Tax Court; Code Section 6015; Code Section 6513; Code Section 6152; Regulation Section 1.6081-4.
- Award of litigation cost to taxpayer. Green Jr., Gary L. // National Public Accountant;Oct93, Vol. 38 Issue 10, p6
Reports on a Tax Court case involving the awarding of litigation costs to a taxpayer. Recovery of costs of litigation from the Internal Revenue Service under Internal Revenue Code Section 7430; Powers vs. Commissioner as an example of a Service position not justified; Lack of basis for the...
- IRS can garnish vested pension benefits. // Practical Accountant;May96, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p63
Reports on the United States Internal Revenue Service application for assessed deficiencies against a doctor. Application for a writ of garnishment; Why doctor exempted his pension fund from garnishment; Reason for judge's ruling; How court used ERISA regulation in making a judgment.
- IRS talked too much and pays. // Practical Accountant;Jun98, Vol. 31 Issue 6, p63
Gives information on a case involving the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and a former insurance executive who received $3.5 million, as a result of the taxpayer pleading guilty to paying the government $3,500 less in taxes than he should have. Details on the case; Actions of the taxpayer towards...
- The continuing saga of environmental cleanup costs: Current... Black, Steven G. // Brigham Young University Law Review;1995, Vol. 1995 Issue 4, p1321
Presents a comment which explores the position of the Internal Revenue Service in relation to the issue of environmental cleanup costs. Information on the Internal Revenue Code; Information on several cases related to the topic; More.
- Appreciating depreciables. Kelly, Terry // Grand Rapids Business Journal;11/27/95, Vol. 13 Issue 48, p14
Looks at Brian Liddle who opposed the Internal Revenue Service's position on the value of art. Brian Liddle experience; Basis of government's position.
- Chains vs. IRS, round 2. // Restaurant Business;12/10/93, Vol. 92 Issue 18, p50
Reports on the plan of three restaurant chains to sue the Internal Revenue Service over FICA taxes on unreported tips. Immediate relief sought by two of the three chains; Various reasons why restaurants shouldn't pay the taxes.
- Marriott towers owners fighting IRS tax ruling. Moskal, Jerry // San Diego Business Journal;08/04/97, Vol. 18 Issue 31, p20
Reports on the struggle of the owners of the San Diego Marriott Hotel and Marina, to appeal an Internal Revenue Service decision, which would deny them millions of dollars in deductions for interest paid on outstanding loans on the buildings. Petitions filed by the owners; IRS' ruling which...
- Stock market restricitions lapsing at death reduce stock's value. // Practical Accountant;Aug98, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p16
Presents information on the case involving the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Estate of McCarthy No 81 AFTR 2d 98-5001 (CA-9, 1998). Information on McCarthy; Position McCarthy held at the newspaper company where he was employed; Amount of money in shares of the company's...