Update on Europe
- Balkan States Fear EU Delay. // Emerging Markets Monitor;12/23/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 35, p15
Looks at the sentiments regarding the timetable for negotiations proposed by the European Union for the inclusion of Bulgaria and Romania in the union. Implications of the proposal for Bulgaria and Romania; Political and economic conditions of Bulgaria and Romania; Plan to boost support for the...
- Court slams EU tender methods. Misser, Francois // African Business;Feb98, Issue 229, p20
Provides updates related to the European Union (EU) as of February 1998. Lack of transparency of EU's tendering procedures according to the EU's Court of Auditors; Projects adopted by the European Development Fund by the end of 1997; Two programs approved by EU for structural adjustment efforts...
- Monnet's nightmare. Newman, George // Across the Board;Mar1996, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p51
Focuses on the European Union. Trade liberalization in 1992; Agricultural extortion racket; Redistribution of income among member countries.
- European Community export controls beyond 1992. // Brookings Review;Summer92, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p22
Examines the European Community's politically sensitive task of developing a Community-wide policy governing the export of arms and military related goods and technologies. Tackling Article 223; Arms industry in transition; Shrinking defense market; Curbing the demand for arms; The EC--case...
- Greek attitudes toward political and economic integration into the EEC. Kourvetaris, George A. // East European Quarterly;Sep93, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p375
Discusses the historical and dynamic configurations concerning the integration of Greece in the European Economic Community (EEC). History of the idea of European integration; Attitudes of Greek political parties and voters towards the EEC.
- Uncle Sam Had a Hand in Forming European Union. Elvin, John // Insight on the News;12/11/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 46, p34
Reveals that declassified documents showed that the United States (U.S.) played a major role in establishing the European Union. Fund made available by the U.S. to the European Movement and European Youth Campaign; Details on how the U.S. channeled funds for the formation of the European Union.
- Net financial transfers in the European Union: Who gets what and why? Carrubba, Clifford J. // Journal of Politics;May97, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p469
Questions why the wealthier European Union (EU) member states agreed to make financial transfers to poorer member states. Claim that the financial transfers are a function of economic need; Arguements that the financial transfers are a device to smooth the market integration process; Average net...
- Whistling in the dark. Johnson, R.W. // New Statesman & Society;4/5/91, Vol. 4 Issue 145, p10
Opinion. Condemns the Bruges Group, which was launched after an anti-EC speech by Margaret Thatcher, as an outdated bunch of losers. The group boasts that it is growing and setting up branches and that it is no longer dependent on Thatcher, but the author sensed uncertainty within the group. ...
- Another afternoon of pure, unalloyed hooey. Pearce, E. // New Statesman & Society;12/20/91-12/27/91, Vol. 4 Issue 182/183, p26
Comments on the Tory party's response to Prime Minister John Major's performance at the Maastricht summit on European unity. Concerns for the future of the European Community (EC); Comparison with the response from Labour party members.