Health service finds staff drug addiction a bitter pill
- OH workers turning to drugs and alcohol to combat stress. // Occupational Health;Feb2004, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p5
Reports on the use of drugs and alcoholic beverages among occupational health practitioners to cope with stress according to a survey by OH Recruitment as of February 2004. Length of sick leave within the last twelve months; Contribution of stress on the sick leaves; Methods used to address stress.
- Stress and Drug Abuse. // Scholastic Action;2/19/2007, Vol. 30 Issue 10, p22
The article discusses the link between stress and drug abuse.
- Pathways to relapse: The neurobiology of drug-and stress-induced relapse to drug-taking. Stewart, Jane // Journal of Psychiatry & Neuroscience;Mar2000, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p125
Examines the neurobiological basis of drug and stress-induced relapse to drug taking. Characterization of drug addiction; Determinants of drug-seeking behavior; Effective events for reinstating response after drug-free periods; Role of the adrenal hormone corticosterone and...
- 'Violence is not part of anybody's job' // Hospital Employee Health;Nov2011, Vol. 30 Issue 11, p124
The article explores the workplace violence experiences of nurses Jeaux Rinehart and Colleen Sichley. It mentions that Rinehart, who earlier worked in the emergency department (ED), moved into an administrative job away from patients. Sichley, who is in charge of the psych unit of Antelope...
- Experts Say EPLI Coverage Available For Hospitals. SCLAFANE, SUSANNE // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;10/05/98, Vol. 102 Issue 40, p29
Focuses on experts' assessment of health care providers' need to buy employment practices liability (EPL) insurance to defend them against frivolous claims and aberrant behaviors by employees. Efforts to implement a comprehensive anti-harassment policy and to train employees on how to comply...
- Stress-induced craving and stress response in cocaine dependent individuals. Sinha, R.; Catapano, Dana; O'Malley, Stephanie // Psychopharmacology;1999, Vol. 142 Issue 4, p343
Abstract Two laboratory studies were conducted to examine the effects of acute psychological stress on craving and stress reactivity in cocaine abusers. In the first preliminary study, we examined the effects of a speech stressor task and a personalized stress imagery task on self-reported...
- compassion fatigue. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p499
A definition of the term "compassion figure" which pertains to emotional exhaustion in a health care professional is presented.
- Campaign tries to get mothers-to-be off drugs. Dellwo, Adrienne C. // Journal of Business (10756124);10/25/2001, Vol. 16 Issue 22, pB1
Reports the campaign efforts of the health care community on the use of drugs by expectant mothers in Spokane County, Washington. Exposure of babies to drugs while in the womb; Treatment of drug-using pregnant women; Use of methamphetamine during pregnancy. INSET: Possible effects of drug...
- Helping those who get hooked. Schrimpf, Natalie // Crain's Cleveland Business;8/05/96, Vol. 17 Issue 32, p15
Focuses on the Northeast Ohio Peer Assistance Program for Nurses (PAPN), a peer counseling program for medical professionals with drug addiction problems. Program philosophy; Operation mechanics of peer assistance; Funding sources; Success in treatment.