Ohio governor gives voters the choice on one-cent sales tax hike for schools
- Ohio Governor's school bond plan still excluded from adjusted budget. Goldsmith, Steve // Bond Buyer;06/01/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30404, p53
Reports on a budget-tinkering bill passed by the Ohio legislators that excluded a proposal by Ohio Governor George V. Voinovich for $160 million of school bonds. Preemption of the use of newly gained taxing power by Ohio municipalities; Inclusion of language recommending the governor...
- Iowa Schools Meet Resistance To Sales Tax-Backed Borrowing. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;06/14/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30912, p1
Reports on the resistance to sales-tax backed school bonds in Polk County, Iowa. Spending of proceeds on a pay-as-you-go basis; Several counties in the state's approval of the sales tax.
- Cherokee County, Ga., OKs $150 Million School Bond and Sales Tax. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;9/20/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31227, p38
Reports the approval of a school bond referendum and a renewal of one-cent sales tax by voters in Cherokee County, Georgia. Comments of Candler Howell, finance director of Cherokee County School District to the tax approval process; Support of the officials to the approval of the bonds and...
- Judge Voids Arizona Tax Initiative. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;08/11/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30952, p1
Reports on the decision of a Maricopa County Superior Court on a sales tax initiative in Arizona. Funding of about 900 million of bonds for school improvements; Provision of health care for the poor.
- Sales tax will help build Fla. hospital. Taylor, Mark // Modern Healthcare;11/22/99, Vol. 29 Issue 47, p20
Focuses on the referendum in Taylor County, Florida to levy a one cent county sales tax that would be used to build a hospital. When the tax would take effect; Why the County needs a hospital; Features of the hospital.
- County sales tax hike measure soundly defeated. Allen // San Diego Business Journal;03/08/99, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p3
Reports on the defeat of a proposal to increase the sales tax in San Diego County, California. Use of the tax to enhance branch libraries; Surprise over the results of voting for Proposition L; Provisions under the measure.
- Time for business to give something back. // San Diego Business Journal;03/08/99, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p38
Editorial. Comments on the failure by voters in San Diego, California to approve a sales tax hike for upgrading library branches. Sentiment among residents that the government is bending to accommodate big business and not its citizens; Proposal to finance projects that include the...
- LA. County Metro Ballot Question in Limbo as State Lawmakers Delay Debate. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;8/7/2008, Vol. 365 Issue 32435, p3
The article reports that a $40 billion sales tax measure of Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) in Los Angeles County, California was questioned. The board of the MTA approved the sales tax referendum, but state lawmakers have yet to increase the county's sales tax limit to allow the...
- ARKANSAS: Saline County Nixes Tax. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;8/17/2010, Vol. 373 Issue 33367, p9
The article reports that voters in Saline County, Arkansas have rejected the proposed 1% sales tax supporting 55 million dollars of bonds for a county fair complex.