Palo Alto, Calif., voters shoot down bond-backed plan to buy cable system
- Lesson from a conglomerate. Litman, Julius // Columbia Journalism Review;Jan/Feb1978, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p16
This article looks at the reason behind the opposition of the Newhouse newspapers--the morning Post-Standard, the evening Herald-Journal, and the Sunday Herald-American--to the plan of creating a city-owned cable television system in Syracuse, New York as of January 1978. Since New York State...
- L.A. Council May Opt for Access. Haugsted, Linda; Estrella, Joe // Multichannel News;06/12/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 24, p1
Reports that the Los Angeles City Council subcommittee in California, has approved a proposal to make open access a condition of renewal for the city's cable franchises. Terms under the open-access rule; Feasibility of open access in the city; Impact of the open access rule on negotiations by...
- Google Fiber Plans Placed On Hold in Overland Park, Kan. Weiss, Todd R. // eWeek;9/17/2013, p5
The article informs that the City Council of Overland Park, Kansas, has delayed plans for setting Google Fiber high-speed Internet and cable television service due to a liability concern in the proposed legal agreement with Google. Bill Ebel, the Overland Park city manager, said that the City...
- Hardly Cooperative. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;9/20/2010, Vol. 31 Issue 35, p10
The article reports on growth of the cable television cooperative National Cable Television Cooperative Inc. (NCTC) in the U.S. It mentions that small member operators complained about how major multi-system operators (MSOs) have dominated the cooperative. It states that larger members believed...
- Abbas to Help NCTC Analyze Affiliate Deals. Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;9/15/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 37, p20
Reports on the appointment of Jeff Abbas as executive of the National Cable Television Cooperative in Lenexa, Kansas. Duties of Abbas; Remarks from president Mike Pandzik on Abbas; Reasons behind the appointment of Abbas.
- A HISTORY OF COOPERATION. Schley, Stewart // Multichannel News;10/11/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 41, p26
Focuses on the history and developments of the National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC) from 1984 to 2004. Details of a meeting conducted by cable executives in 1984 to discuss the issue of favorable license rates given by cable-TV networks to distributors; Business performance of the NCTC...
- AFFILIATION NATION. Schley, Stewart // Multichannel News;10/11/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 41, p30
Discusses the efforts of Frank Hughes of the National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC) to make programming affordable for small operators. Amount of money reaped by NCTC members from their collective programming purchasing cooperative, annually; Affiliation agreements of the cooperative;...
- Berkley OKs cable franchise. Defendis, Megan // Crain's Detroit Business;07/28/97, Vol. 13 Issue 30, p38
Reports that Berkley City Council in Michigan has approved a cable television franchise agreement with Ameritech New Media. Length of the contract; Other councils considered this step.
- Chicago OKs Cable Subs' Rights Play. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;10/7/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 40, p8
Reports the approval of bill of rights for cable customers by the City Council in Chicago, Illinois. Penalties for the offenses of customers; Opposition of the bill of rights by AT&T Corp.; Applicability of the bill of rights to RCN Corp.