Illinois' Edgar calls for $535 million of new debt in fiscal 1999 budget
- Edgar can thank the economy. Stahler, Steven R. // Crain's Chicago Business;2/27/95, Vol. 18 Issue 9, p4
Reports that healthy economic trends in Illinois might provide Governor Jim Edgar reason to exclude tax increases and increase spending on Medicaid needs in his budget plan for 1996. Possibility of a major rehabilitation of Edgar's plan during the spring session of the state legislature;...
- Little turbulence on governor's budget radar. Strahler, Steven R. // Crain's Chicago Business;3/4/96, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p7
Reports on Illinois Governor Jim Edgar's sixth annual budget address. Funding for the politically resonant programs; Tax proposals; Republican legislators' comments regarding the governor's budget proposals; Economic conditions of the state.
- Edgar must dig deeper to narrow state deficit. // Crain's Chicago Business;3/4/96, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p12
Opinion. Comments on the annual budget message of Illinois Governor Jim Edgar. State's budget deficit for the fiscal year ended June 30, 1996; Legacy of Edgar; Suggestions in uplifting the state's finances.
- Edgar backs privatization and charter schools. Harp, Lonnie // Education Week;1/19/94, Vol. 13 Issue 17, p12
Reports on Illinois Governor Jim Edgar's plan to test private management of some Illinois schools. Edgar's plan to introduce a bill that would create 12 charter schools; Edgar's appointment of a school-to-work task force; Plans to convene a group to study education-technology issues.
- Good grades are good politics. Barnes, James A. // National Journal;4/12/97, Vol. 29 Issue 15, p706
Reports on the school financing reforms proposed by Illinois Republican Governor Jim Edgar. Cutting property taxes; Increased state spending on education; Supporters of the proposal; Proposal of the Democrats in the legislature; Education financing reform of Texas Republican Gov. George Bush;...
- On the positive side of politics... // Reading Today;Jun/Jul92, Vol. 9 Issue 6, p10
Pictures Governor Jim Edgar of Illinois receiving a copy of `Lincoln: A Photobiography.' Presented by John W. Logan, president-elect of Illinois Reading Council; Edgar a strong proponent of literacy programs; Addressed council members at Illinois Reading Council 1992 conference in Springfield.
- Will Edgar's tax plan fly? Strahler, Steven R. // Crain's Chicago Business;3/25/96, Vol. 19 Issue 13, p4
Focuses on the response in Chicago to Illinois Governor Jim Edgar's taxing proposal on education and income taxes. Information on income tax increases; Response of Illinois Business Education Coalition; Views of Edgar.
- Edgar's Medicaid cure: The skepticism mounts. Oloroso Jr., Arsenio // Crain's Chicago Business;10/10/94, Vol. 17 Issue 41, p4
Reports on the skepticism faced by the Medicaid program of Governor Jim Edgar for Illinois. Need for longer assessment; Questions on the ability of the plan to improve health care in the state; Statistics on fund backlog for the health care system; Shortage of additional doctors and hospitals...
- Illinois road funds declining. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;03/17/97, Vol. 238 Issue 11, p24
Presents a state-funded road building program in Illinois approved by Governor Jim Edgar. Proposal from Edgar to increase the program's funding through a fuel tax increase; Forecasts of shortage in the state's road construction funds.