Risk Factors for Venous Thromboembolism in Nursing Home Residents
- Pharmacists can help prevent venous thromboembolism. LoBuono, Charlotte // Drug Topics;9/15/2003, Vol. 147 Issue 18, p8
Highlights a report concerning deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE) in the United States. Underutilization of regimens for the prevention of venous thromboembolism (VTE); Progress in clinical trials and guidelines for the prophylaxis and treatment of VTE; Difficulties in...
- The effect of a policy of prophylaxis for thrombo-embolism on the autopsy incidence of pulmonary... Mullane, D.; Phillips, P. // Age & Ageing;Sep96 Supplement, Vol. 25, p26
Presents an abstract of the study `The Effect of a Policy of a Prophylaxis for Thrombo-Embolism on the Autopsy Incidence of Pulmonary Embolism,' by D. Mullane and P. Phillips, presented during the Communications to the Spring Meeting of the British Geriatrics Society on April 11-13, 1996 in...
- Part II--Natural History. // British Medical Journal;5/15/1976, Vol. 1 Issue 6019, p1181
Focuses on the natural history of venous thromboembolic disease. Development of thrombosis at the independent sites in the venous system of the leg; Absence of the incidence of definite and probable pulmonary embolism after strokes; Occurrence of thrombosis from the calf.
- Dextran 70 in Prophylaxis of Thromboembolic Disease after Surgery: A Clinically Oriented Randomized Double-blind Trial. Kline, A.; Hughes, L.E.; Campbell, H.; Williams, A.; Zlosnick, J.; Leach, K.G. // British Medical Journal;4/19/75, Vol. 2 Issue 5963, p109
Reports a randomized double-blind trial of prophylaxis of thromboembolism in surgical patients in Great Britain. Administration of either dextran 70 or normal saline to the patients; Development of pulmonary embolism in some patients; Similarity of the incidence of deep vein thrombosis in the...
- Venous thromboembolism: Prevention & treatment. Morris, Beverly A.; Morrison, Ruth B.; Yetsko, Cheryl // RN;Oct2002, Vol. 65 Issue 10, following p24
Discusses the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE). Pharmacological options for prophylaxis; Diagnostic procedures; Options for PE lysis; Complications; Role of nursing in preventing and managing DVT and PE. INSET: DVT: Not just the legs..
- Pulmonary tumour embolism complicating a case of leiomyosarcoma. Gentle, Stephen; Fisher, Cyril; Soni, Neil; Hill, Sue; Thomas, J. Meirion // Sarcoma;Dec1998, Vol. 2 Issue 3/4, p201
Examines a case of peripheral leiomyosarcoma presenting with features of pulmonary thromboembolism. Clinical manifestations; Diagnosis; Treatment options.
- Reducing the risk of venous thromboembolism (deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) in patients admitted to hospital: summary of the NICE guideline. Hill, Jennifer; Treasure, Tom // Heart;Jun2010, Vol. 96 Issue 11, p879
An introduction to the article "Reducing the Risk of Venuous Thromboembolism (Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism) in Patients Admitted to Hospital: Summary of the NICE Guideline," by Jennifer Hill and Tom Treasure is presented.
- Patients with subsegmental PE appear to mimic those with segmental, proximal PE. // Hem/Onc Today;9/25/2013, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p10
The article discusses a study by researcher P.L. den Exter and colleagues which found that patients with subsegmental pulmonary embolism (PE) appeared to mimic those with more proximally located PE with regard to their venous thromboembolism (VTE) risk profile and clinical outcome.
- Incidence and risk factors for fatal pulmonary embolism after major trauma: a nested cohort studyâ€ . Ho, K. M.; Burrell, M.; Rao, S.; Baker, R. // BJA: The British Journal of Anaesthesia;Nov2010, Vol. 105 Issue 5, p596
Background Venous thromboembolism is common after major trauma. Strategies to prevent fatal pulmonary embolism (PE) are widely utilized, but the incidence and risk factors for fatal PE are poorly understood. Methods Using linked data from the intensive care unit, trauma registry, Western...