Free Vascularized Fibular Graft Salvage of Complications of Long-Bone Allograft After Tumor Reconstruction
- Reconstruction of Large Skeletal Defects Due to Osteomyelitis with the Vascularized Fibular Graft in Children. Zalavras, Charalampos G.; Femino, Dominic; Triche, Rachel; Zionts, Lewis; Stevanovic, Milan // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Oct2007, Vol. 89-A Issue 10, p2233
Background: Reconstruction of large skeletal defects secondary to osteomyelitis is a challenging problem. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the outcome of the use of a vascularized fibular graft to treat such defects in children. Methods: Eight patients with a mean age of seven years and...
- TREATMENT FOR OSTEONECROSIS OF THE FEMORAL HEAD: COMPARISON OF EXTRACORPOREAL SHOCK WAVES WITH CORE DECOMPRESSION AND BONE-GRAFTING. Ching-Jen Wang; Feng-Sheng Wang; Chung-Cheng Huang; Yang, Kuender D.; Lin-Hsiu Weng; Hsuan-Ying Huang // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Nov2005, Vol. 87-A Issue 11, p2380
Background: There is continuing controversy regarding the optimal treatment for patients with symptomatic early-stage osteonecrosis of the femoral head. We compared the results of noninvasive treatment with extracorporeal shock waves with those of core decompression and bone-grafting in similar...
- osteoplastic. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1658
A definition of the term "osteoplastic," which refers to bone repair using plastic surgery or grafting, is presented.
- Surgeons develop composite bone transplants. Josefson, Deborah // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);07/03/99, Vol. 319 Issue 7201, p9
Provides information on the case of a boy who underwent composite bone transplant using cadaveric and host bone at Joe DiMaggio's Children's Hospital in Gainesville, Florida. Comments from Michael Jofe, member of the transplant team who performed the surgery; Effectiveness of cadaveric bone.
- Case Reports: Lengthening of a Vascularized Free Fibular Graft. Frédéric Sailhan; Pierre Mary; Jean-Paul Damsin // Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research;May2009, Vol. 467 Issue 5, p1377
AbstractÂ Â Wide bone resection is sometimes necessary for bone tumors, and reconstruction is a major challenge. Vascularized fibular graft is one alternative but may result in progressive limb-length discrepancy (LLD) in children with substantial growth left. Progressive distraction...
- Comment on Sen et al.: Posterior wall reconstruction using iliac crest strut graft in severely comminuted posterior acetabular wall fracture. Sun, Bu; Li, Kang; Zhu, Yong // International Orthopaedics;Dec2011, Vol. 35 Issue 12, p1903
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Posterior Wall Reconstruction Using Iliac Crest Strut Graft in Severely Comminuted Posterior Acetabular Wall Fracture," by R. K. Sen in the 2011 issue.
- Treatment of Extrinsic Flexion Deformity of the Toes Associated with Previous Removal of a Vascularized Fibular Graft. Takakura, Yoshinori; Yajima, Hiroshi; Tanaka, Yasuhito; Komeda, Takeshi; Tamai, Susumu // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Jan2000, Vol. 82-A Issue 1, p58
Background: Complications from vascularized fibular bone-grafting are infrequent. We saw six patients who had a painful flexion deformity of the great and lesser toes after a free vascularized fibular graft had been obtained from the ipsilateral leg. In this report, we discuss our management of...
- Metatarsal Lengthening By Callus Distraction For Brachymetatarsia: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Rose, Rec // Internet Journal of Third World Medicine;2002, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p1
Congenital metatarsal shortening (brachymetatarsia) causes minor disability in daily life. However, patients are likely to seek medical care complaining mainly of cosmetic problems when they reach adolescence or adult life. Callus distraction is a unique method for enlongating a long bone. As...
- Autologous versus allogenic bone grafts in instrumented anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: a prospective study with respect to bone union pattern. Suchomel, Petr; Barsa, Pavel; Buchvald, Pavel; Svobodnik, Adam; Vanickova, Eva // European Spine Journal;Oct2004, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p510
Compares fusion rates, course of fusion and occurrence of collapse and subsidence of autologous and allogenic bone grafts in instrumented anterior cervical fusion. Investigation of the number of fused levels and the smoking status as potential factors influencing the bone-healing process;...