THE MOEBIUS STRIP: PRIVATE RIGHT AND PUBLIC USE IN COPYRIGHT LAW
- Flareup at the fair use frontier. Berry, John // Library Journal;3/15/1978, Vol. 103 Issue 6, p601
Editorial. Focuses on the conflict between organizations about copyright and fair use issues. Development of supposed 'guidelines' at the 1976 peace conference of the National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted Works; Speculation on librarians' use of copying machines that...
- Fair use: Use it or lose it. Lindberg, Stanley W. // Academic Questions;Summer97, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p48
Discusses various aspects of fair use policy in the United States. Provision under Copyright Act of 1976 entitling everyone to make fair use of material copyrighted by others; Basis for a copyright law intended to balance rights of creators and users; Primary purpose of copyright as stated in...
- Guidelines Favoring Fair Use: An Analysis of Legal Interpretations Affecting Higher Education. Marley, Judith L. // Journal of Academic Librarianship;Sep99, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p367
Presents a summary of landmark court cases involving the fair use clause of copyright law. Origin of fair use; Guidelines that encourage fair use of copyrighted materials; Implications for librarians and others within higher education.
- Copyright violation and personal liability in education: A current look at `fair use'. Maddox, John Wm. // Brigham Young University Education & Law Journal;1995, Issue 1, p97
Presents information about the legal aspects of the Copyright Act concerning its use for educational purposes. Examination of the statute including the `Fair Use' doctrine; Examination of the basis used by US Congress in developing the law; Court decisions; Limitations of schools in the use of...
- CONSUMERS AND CREATIVE DESTRUCTION: FAIR USE BEYOND MARKET FAILURE. Ku, Raymond Shih Ray // Berkeley Technology Law Journal;Spring2003, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p539
For almost twenty years, the concept of market failure has defined the boundaries of fair use under copyright law. In this article Professor Ku challenges this interpretation of fair use by offering an alternative economic interpretation of the doctrine. This Article argues fair use is justified...
- COPYRIGHT AND TIME: A PROPOSAL. Liu, Joseph P. // Michigan Law Review;Nov2002, Vol. 101 Issue 2, p409
Argues that courts should adjust the scope of copyright protection to account for the passage of time by considering time as a factor in fair use analysis. Theoretical arguments that time should matter in fair use analysis; Examination of the doctrinal case for considering time; Specifics of...
- APPLYING THE "FAIR USE" COPYRIGHT CLAUSE IN THE CLASSROOM. // Library of Congress Magazine;Sep/Oct2013, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p22
The article provides an answer to a question on the U.S. Copyright Act, especially on the fair use exception.
- fair use exercise. // Communication: Journalism Education Today;Winter2013, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p19
A quiz related to the applicability of fair use is presented.
- Copyright Questions of the Month. Simpson, Carol // Library Media Connection;Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p31
The article presents questions and answers regarding copyright laws in educational settings, including the fair use of book jackets, the copying of articles for teacher-parental communication, and the screening of films in schools.