Very Often, Crime Pays
- 20 Years of Discovery. // Television Week;4/4/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 14, pC3
Highlights events related to the cable television network Discovery Channel (DC) that took place from 1985 to 2005. Launch of DC; Acquisition of the Learning Channel by Discovery Communications; Anniversary celebration of the network.
- HBO enters a growing Korean cable market. Alford, Christopher // Variety;10/02/2000, Vol. 380 Issue 7, p48
Reports on the resurgence of the cable television industry in South Korea after the country's economic crisis in 1998. Launching of HBO Korea on October 2, 2000; Limitation on foreign investment in broadcasting; Penetration rates of cable televisions in affluent areas.
- Our Town. Larson, Megan // MediaWeek;06/14/99, Vol. 9 Issue 24, Cable p34
Emphasizes the advantages of regional cable news networks over local cable news networks. Proof that the demand for regional cable news network is growing; Overview of the situation at New York 1 News cable network; Discussion and analysis of the trend.
- Station Problems for Azteca. Consoli, John // MediaWeek;7/2/2001, Vol. 11 Issue 27, p7
Reports on the series of distribution setbacks encountered by Azteca America, a Hispanic television (TV) broadcast network, that could delay the network from getting on the air. Information on Azteca's agreement to acquire KXTX-TV in Dallas, Texas; Impact of Univision's acquisition of TV outlets...
- Discovery grabs all of CBS' People cabler. Dempsey, John // Variety;01/04/99, Vol. 373 Issue 7, p59
Announces the acquisition of CBS Eye on People cablet network by Discovery Communications. Details on the deal; Statement from Don Mitzner, president of CBS Cable.
- In-your-face music. Burgi, Michael // MediaWeek;06/11/2001, Vol. 11 Issue 24, pSR8
Reports on the competition between cable television networks MTV2 and MuchMusic USA, which target Web-savvy viewers. Details on the program lineup of MuchMusic; Information on MTV2 show `Control Freak'; Comparison of the number of households reached by the networks.
- TCI restores VH1, MTV. Bambarger, Bradley // Billboard;02/01/97, Vol. 109 Issue 5, p84
Reports that cable television provider Tele-Communications Inc. (TCI) bowed to pressure and decided to return cable music channels VH1 and MTV to the air in Denver, Colorado and other markets. Background on TCI's pulling of the stations in December 1996; Protests from Viacom, artists and...
- Pay cabler Flix tries new tricks. Dempsey, John // Daily Variety;08/30/2000, Vol. 268 Issue 62, p5
Reports that cable television network Flix!, a subsidiary of Showtime, has revamped its on-air appearance and scheduling strategy and signed an affiliation deal with Comcast Cable.
- IN BRIEF. // Broadcasting & Cable;4/15/2002, Vol. 132 Issue 16, p10
Presents developments on television broadcasting as of April 2002 in the U.S. Commitment of MSNBS cable television news channel to serve the public fairly; Decision of Discovery Networks Inc. to remove production credits on many shows in the cable networks owned by the company; Offer of the...