TITLE

Long-term outcome of chronic hepatitis B in Caucasian patients: mortality after 25 years

AUTHOR(S)
Fattovich, G.; Olivari, N.; Pasino, M.; D'Onofrio, M; Martone, E.; Donato, F.
PUB. DATE
January 2008
SOURCE
Gut;Jan2008, Vol. 57 Issue 1, p84
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
Objective: To assess risk factors for liver-related death, we re-evaluated, after a median follow-up of 25 years, a cohort of 70 Caucasian patients with hepatitis B e antigen (HBeAg) positive chronic hepatitis (CH) at presentation. Methods: Follow-up studies included clinical and ultrasound examinations, biochemical and virological tests, and cause of death. Results: Sixty-one (87%) patients underwent spontaneous HBeAg seroconversion. During a median period of 22.8 years after HBeAg seroclearance, 40 (66%) patients became inactive carriers, whereas the remaining 21 (34%) showed alanine aminotransferase elevation: one (1%) had HBeAg reversion, nine (15%) detectable serum HBV DNA but were negative for HBeAg, eight (13%) concurrent virus(es) infection and three (5%) concurrent non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Liver-related death occurred in 11 (15.7%) patients, caused by hepatocellular carcinoma in five and liver failure in six. The 25-year survival probability was 40% in patients persistently HBeAg positive, 50% in patients with HBeAg negative CH or HBeAg reversion and 95% in inactive carriers. Older age, male sex, cirrhosis at entry and absence of sustained remission predicted liver-related death independently. The adjusted hazard ratios (95% Cl) for liver related death were 33 (3.01-363) for persistently HBeAg positive patients and 38.73 (4.65-322) for those with HBeAg negative CH or HBeAg reversion relative to inactive carriers. Conclusion: Most patients with HBeAg seroconversion became inactive carriers with very good prognosis. The risk of liver-related mortality in Caucasian adults with CH is strongly related with sustained disease activity and ongoing high level of HBV replication independently of HBeAg status.
ACCESSION #
28718675

 

Related Articles

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of VIRGINIA BEACH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND SYSTEM

Sign out of this library

Other Topics