A fluoroscopic-guided intraarticular corticosteroid injection improved pain in osteoerthritis of the hip
- COMMENTARY: A fluoroscopic-guided intraarticular corticosteroid injection improved pain in osteoerthritis of the hip. March, Lynn // ACP Journal Club;Jan/Feb2008, Vol. 148 Issue 1, p13
The author comments on the study which investigates the effect of fluoroscopic-guided intraarticular corticosteroid (IAC) injection in treating osteoarthritis of the hip. According to the author, intraarticular injections carry a small risk for infection and should not be recommended if joint...
- Corticosteroid injections for osteoarthritis of the knee: meta-analysis. Arroll, Bruce; Goodyear-Smith, Felicity // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);4/10/2004, Vol. 328 Issue 7444, p869
Abstract ObjectivesTo determine the efficacy of intra-articular corticosteroid injections for osteoarthritis of the knee and to identify numbers needed to treat. Data sources Cochrane controlled trials register, Medline (1966 to 2003), Embase (1980 to 2003), hand searches, and contact with...
- Effects of corticosteroids and their combinations with hyaluronanon on the biochemical properties of porcine cartilage explants. Puntita Siengdee; Tiwaporn Radeerom; Similan Kuanoon; Thippaporn Euppayo; Waranee Pradit; Siriwadee Chomdej; Siriwan Ongchai; Korakot Nganvongpanit // BMC Veterinary Research;12/4/2015, Vol. 11, p1
Background: Intra-articular injection of corticosteroids is used to treat the inflammatory pain of arthritis and osteoarthritis (OA), but our previous study found a deleterious effect of these steroids on chondrocyte cells. Hyaluronic acid (HA) injection has been suggested as a means to...
- Ultrasound-guided sacroiliac joint injection in patients with established sacroiliitis: precise IA injection verified by MRI scanning does not predict clinical outcome. Hartung, Wolfgang; Ross, Christian J.; Straub, Rainer; Feuerbach, Stefan; Schölmerich, Jürgen; Fleck, Martin; Herold, Thomas // Rheumatology;Aug2010, Vol. 49 Issue 8, p1479
Objective. IA injections of SIJs with corticosteroids are often performed in patients suffering from low back pain due to active sacroiliitis. However, SIJ injections are technically demanding, and therefore the clinical outcome of ultrasound-guided corticosteroid SIJ injections was analysed in...
- LOCAL CORTICOSTEROID INJECTIONS. Milne, Chris // New Zealand Journal of Sports Medicine;Winter2009, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p68
The article presents questions and answers related to local corticosteroid injections including its definition, what corticosteroid injections do, and the injuries they are used for.
- Aspiration and Injection of the Knee Joint: Approach Portal. Douglas, Robert J. // Knee Surgery & Related Research;Mar2014, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p1
Aspiration and injection of the knee joint is a commonly performed medical procedure. Injection of corticosteroid for the treatment of osteoarthritis is the most common reason for knee joint injection, and is performed as an office procedure. Debate exists among practitioners as to the...
- Current therapeutic options for intra-articular medication in horses. Parker, Russell // Livestock (Electronic);Jul/Aug2014, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p243
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a significant problem in horses and may affect young athletes through to geriatric patients. Management of OA and the resulting lameness is a multifaceted challenge faced by veterinary surgeons involving financial, ethical, regulatory and owner related considerations....
- Undeclared Corticosteroid. Voelker, Rebecca // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;6/16/2015, Vol. 313 Issue 23, p2312
The article announces the issuance by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of public notifications warning that 4 over-the-counter products which contain corticosteroid dexamethasone and are promoted for pain relief contain potentially harmful, undeclared ingredients.
- Inhaled corticosteroids and risk of cataract formation. Kirchner, Jeffrey T. // American Family Physician;12/1/1997, Vol. 56 Issue 9, p2333
Presents the summary of the article `Use of Inhaled Corticosteroids and the Risk of Cataracts,' by R.G. Cumming from the `Northern England Journal of Medicine' dated 1997. Effects of inhaled corticosteroids; Cumulative lifetime dosage of beclomethasone.