Monitoring the occurrence of diabetes mellitus and its major complications: the combined use of different administrative databases
- Vildagliptin: the evidence for its place in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Profit, Louise; Chrisp, Paul; Nadin, Carole // Core Evidence;2008, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p14
Introduction: Type 2 diabetes is increasing in prevalence worldwide and is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality, mainly due to the development of complications. Vildagliptin is an inhibitor of dipeptidyl peptidase 4 (DPP-4), a new class of oral antidiabetic agents. Aims: To evaluate the...
- Limiting and treating DM's chronic complications. Steil, Condit F. // Drug Topics;Oct99 Supplement Diabetes, Vol. 143 Issue 19, p14S
Discusses the limitation and treatment of diabetes mellitus' (DM) chronic complications. Information on the pathophysiologic changes associated with diabetes; Overview on the macrovascular and microvascular complications of DM.
- The prevalence of known diabetes in eight European countries. Fleming, D. M.; Schellevis, F. G.; Van Casteren, V. // European Journal of Public Health;Mar2004, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p10
Background: The prevalence of diabetes has been proposed as a European Community Health Indicator. The prevalence of diabetes known to general practitioners (GPs) in different European countries has been investigated and the usefulness of sentinel practice networks in delivering prevalence data...
- New concepts in managing diabetic foot infections. Leichter, Steven B.; Schaefer, John C.; O'Brian, John T. // Geriatrics;May1991, Vol. 46 Issue 5, p24
Recent enhanced attention to diabetic foot infection--in both clinical care and research--has yielded a modified picture of this disorder. It suggests that certain diabetic patients may have important risk factors for the development of infection, and further, infections in these patients may...
- Case Study: Treating Hypertension in Patients With Diabetes. Benjamin, Evan M. // Clinical Diabetes;Summer2004, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p137
Presents a case study of cardiovascular complications in diabetes mellitus. Overview of a study of an anti-hypertensive treatment in patients with diabetes to reduce cardiovascular complications; Clinical briefs.
- Current Concepts in Gastric Motility in Diabetes Mellitus. De Block, Christophe E. M.; De Leeuw, Ivo H.; Pelckmans, Paul A.; Van Gaal, Luc F. // Current Diabetes Reviews;2006, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p113
This review addresses the current concepts in our understanding of the epidemiology, mechanisms, symptoms, clinical consequences, diagnosis and treatment of delayed gastric emptying in patients with diabetes. Upper gastrointestinal symptoms, particularly postprandial fullness, nausea, vomiting...
- What To Do--And Not Do--When A Loved One Has Diabetes. Wright, Hillary M. // Environmental Nutrition;Oct2005, Vol. 28 Issue 10, p1
Presents an article that discusses all about the diabetes disease. Identification of the kind of people who are very much susceptible to diabetes; Complications created by the disease; Guides on how to prevent the infliction of diabetes. INSET: Got TV? Got Computer? Get Info.
- PGC-1a regulates the mitochondrial antioxidant defense system in vascular endothelial cells. Valle, Inmaculada; �lvarez-Barrientos, Alberto; Arza, Elvira; Lamas, Santiago; Monsalve, Mar�a // Cardiovascular Research;Jun2005, Vol. 66 Issue 3, p562
Abstract: Objective: Mitochondrial production of oxidants contributes to a variety of pathological conditions including the vascular complications of diabetes, neurodegenerative diseases, and cellular senescence. We postulated that a transcriptional coactivator, peroxisome proliferator activated...
- Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus. // Diabetes Care;Jan2013 Supplement, Vol. 36 Issue S1, pS67
The article discusses the symptoms and complications of type 1 and type 2 diabetes. The report also mentions the other types of the disease including genetic defects in insulin action, endocrinopathies, and drug or chemical-induced diabetes. An overview of the etiologic classification of...