Labor: Costs up 7.5% as fsds strive to retain staff
- IN COLLEGES: Campus execs. lead in tenure. // FoodService Director;12/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p52
Deals with the economic prospects of the college food service segment in the U.S.. Compensation bracket of the segment; Dropout rates of its employees; Challenges facing college food service directors; Customer enhancements in college food service.
- Rocking Out. // FoodService Director;8/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 8, p32
The article profiles Richard Mancino, executive chef at Wagner College Staten Island, New York. As executive chef for Chartwells at Wagner College, he is currently working to develop a new four-week cycle menu for the upcoming school year. Mancino says he always liked to cook, and cooking is...
- Remarkable Service. Ramsey, Lindsey // FoodService Director;10/15/2009, Vol. 22 Issue 10, p26
The article features Jon Lewis, director of dining at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. He has improved food service at the university by implementing the Remarkable Service Program which recognizes outstanding employees and empowering them with new meal plans. Lewis increased...
- Making the grade: Colleges find ways to attract student workers. Blake, Kathy // Nation's Restaurant News;11/17/97, Vol. 31 Issue 46, p42
Focuses on the strategies of college food service operators in the United States in recruiting students to work for them. Reliance on surveys to identify what students are looking for in a part-time job; Holding of job fairs in campuses; Offer of salaries higher than the minimum wage.
- Shirley Everett: Leading College Foodservice to Top of Class. // Nation's Restaurant News;4/12/2004 Supplement, Vol. 38, p28
Profiles Shirley Everett, former director of residential dining at Stamford University, California, and recipient of the International Foodservice Manufacturers Association's Silver Plate Award in 1997. Career in the foodservice industry; Major accomplishments.
- A Better Way to Sign Up Student Workers. // Food Management;Apr2001, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p20
Describes the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Dining Services Department's improvement of its recruitment of staff for dining services jobs. Suggested location of portable tables for information.
- The 411 on Retention. Ramsey, Lindsey // FoodService Director;12/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p38
The article offers information on the strategies employed by the food service department of Boston College in recruiting and retaining employees. The department participates in school-to-career programs, where it establishes a relationship with area schools and colleges. It also established a...
- UNDER 30. // FoodService Director;1/15/2014, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p32
The article presents an interview with Erin Thacker, nutrition and wellness educator at Chesapeake Public Schools in Virginia, and Kerry Chasteen, quality assurance manager/interim dining services manager at University of Maine, who were both chosen by the magazine as the Under 30 honorees for...
- PEOPLE/STEAL THIS IDEA. // FoodService Director;11/15/2007, Vol. 20 Issue 11, p22
The article offers information on the innovative ideas used by foodservice professionals in the U.S. To reduce trash, the staff at the dining operations at Harvard University created simple-to-follow signs for trash, like paper, and cardboards and plastics, metals and glass. The staff of the...