HACCP Under Fire in Courts: USDA to push meat-pack rules
- Industry News. Galosich, Allison // National Provisioner;Aug2000, Vol. 214 Issue 8, p10
Reports on criticisms against the United States Agriculture Department's (USDA) meat inspection system. Lawsuit filed by USDA inspectors against the system; Safety measures in chicken slaughtering; Reduction of the incidence of fecal contamination and salmonella.
- The agriculture department. Goodrich, Lawrence J.; MacLachlan, Suzanne L. // Christian Science Monitor;2/1/95, Vol. 87 Issue 46, p2
Reports the meat-testing rules proposed by the United States Agriculture Department. Information about the proposal.
- Better meat safety standards are on the way...maybe. // Environmental Nutrition;Oct95, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p3
Reports on the US Department of Agriculture's proposed overhaul of the outdated meat inspection system, to be in place by 1996. System's focus on preventing foodborne illnesses; Requirement for companies to identify critical control points in their operations; Mandatory daily microbiological...
- Turkey safety and handling. // Consumer Reports;Nov94, Vol. 59 Issue 11, p702
Reports on the development of a faster test to detect `generic bacteria' on poultry, beef and pork to be implemented by the US Department of Agriculture. Useful tips on USDA safe-handling label; Means of preventing bacteria from spreading; Proper storage; Ways to properly thaw a frozen turkey;...
- Where's the beef been? O'Hanlon, Ann // Washington Monthly;Jun93, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p19
Criticizes the federal meat inspection reform of President Bill Clinton's administration. Meat poisoning incident in Washington State; Reaction of Department of Agriculture Secretary Mike Espy; Meat inspection redesign; Perceived inadequacies; Media reaction; Implications for meat consuming...
- USDA's efforts on meat inspection called ineffective. // Nation's Restaurant News;7/25/94, Vol. 28 Issue 29, p2
Reports on a panel of medical experts' criticism of the Department of Agriculture's meat-inspection efforts during a 1994 Gastroenterological Association conference on E. coli bacteria. Contents of the group's consensus report; Recommendations.
- Modern meat inspection. Coorsh, Richard // Consumers' Research Magazine;Mar1995, Vol. 78 Issue 3, p6
Reports on the US Department of Agriculture's (DA) proposal for the elimination of sources of bacterial contamination in slaughterhouses and meat processing plants. Requirement for the daily testing for salmonella; Proposal as supplementary to the existing inspection system.
- INDUSTRY NEWS. Galosich, Allison // National Provisioner;Sep2000, Vol. 214 Issue 9, p13
Presents news about the United States food industry recent as of September 2000. Meat inspectors' criticism of the Department of Agriculture's Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points program; News about Farmland Foods, Randall Farms and House Raeford Farms Inc.; Grilling in America consumer...
- Making problems worse.... Boyle, J. Patrick // Consumers' Research Magazine;Aug94, Vol. 77 Issue 8, p36
Focuses on the testimony of American Meat Institute President and Chief Executive Officer J. Patrick Boyle on the effectiveness of US Department of Agriculture's (USDA) meat and poultry inspection system. Meat industry's support of USDA's `zero tolerance' policy; Failure of USDA's strategy to...