Relationship between smolt gill Na+, K+ ATPase activity and migration timing to avian predation risk of steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in a large estuary
- Predation by hatchery yearling salmonids on wild subyearling salmonids in the freshwater environment: A review of studies, two case histories, and implications for management. Naman, Seth; Sharpe, Cameron // Environmental Biology of Fishes;May2012, Vol. 94 Issue 1, p21
We conducted a literature review on predation by hatchery yearling salmonids on wild subyearling salmonids in the western United States. The review included 14 studies from the Pacific Northwest and California. In most instances, predation by hatchery yearling salmonids on wild subyearling...
- Effects of Hatchery Rearing on Brain Structures of Rainbow Trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Marchetti, Michael P.; Nevitt, Gabrielle A. // Environmental Biology of Fishes;Jan2003, Vol. 66 Issue 1, p9
In this study, we contrast brain morphology from hatchery and wild reared stocks to examine the hypothesis that in salmonid fishes, captive rearing produces changes in brain development. Using rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, as a model, we measured eight regions of the salmonid brain to...
- The influence of the Columbia River plume on the survival of steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha): a numerical exploration. Burla, Michela; Baptista, Ant�nio M.; Casillas, Edmundo; Williams, John G.; Marsh, Douglas M. // Canadian Journal of Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences;Oct2010, Vol. 67 Issue 10, p1671
Are smolt-to-adult return rates (SARs) for wild steelhead (i.e., sea-run rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss) and wild Snake River spring-summer Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) related to changes in the Columbia River plume at the time that juvenile migrants enter the ocean? We used...
- Fish Survival 101. Heavey, Bill // Field & Stream;Jan2002, Vol. 106 Issue 9, p15
Focuses on the education and training of hatchery-reared salmon to adapt in the wild. Studies conducted by the Cambridge University in England; Characteristics of rainbow trout relevant for their survival; Techniques employed by researchers in educating fish.
- Stocking success of local-origin fry and impact of hatchery ancestry: monitoring a new steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) stocking program in a Minnesota tributary to Lake Superior. Caroffino, David C.; Miller, Loren M.; Kapuscinski, Anne R.; Ostazeski, Joseph J. // Canadian Journal of Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences;Feb2008, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p309
The inception of a hatchery program to rebuild a naturalized steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) population in Minnesota waters of Lake Superior gave us the rare opportunity to monitor the success of fry stocking and determine if hatchery ancestry can reduce fitness of stocked fish in the early...
- Seasonal foraging and piscivory by sympatric wild and hatchery-reared steelhead from an integrated hatchery program. Simpson, William; Kennedy, Benjamen; Ostrand, Kenneth // Environmental Biology of Fishes;Dec2009, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p473
We compared the diet of hatchery-reared steelhead produced from an integrated hatchery program as emigrating spring smolts and non-migrating hatchery residuals to their sympatric wild counterparts. Our results suggest that there is a potential for hatchery fish to affect wild steelhead...
- Gastric evacuation rates and maximum daily rations of rainbow trout fed chironomid larvae at 7.8, 10.0 and 12.8 deg. C Hayward, R. S.; Weiland, M. A. // Environmental Biology of Fishes;Mar1998, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p321
Gastric evacuation rate (GER) and maximum daily ration (CMAX) data for rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss are scant, particularly those that apply to field populations of this species. We determined GERs and CMAXs of rainbow trout (approx. 160--300 mm TL, 40--300 g live weight), fed chironomid...
- Saugeen Steelhead Soar. Hainer, Dale // Ontario Out of Doors;Apr2012, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p16
The article focuses on the fish status and numbers estimated by the Ontario Steelheaders, for species like rainbow trout and steelhead.
- TFFC stocks rainbow trout. // Malakoff News (TX);12/28/2007, Vol. 98 Issue 52, p9B
The article reports that the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center (TFFC) has stocked hundreds of trout in a new pond beside the Hart-Morris Conservation Center.