- Look Hoo's Talking. // Current Science;1/18/2008, Vol. 93 Issue 10, p5
The article presents information on calls of several species of owls including the great horned owl, the barred owl, and the northern saw-whet owl.
- Seasonal variation in the diet of great horned owls (Bubo virginianus) on shortgrass prairie. Zimmerman, Guthrie; Stapp, Paul // American Midland Naturalist;Jul96, Vol. 136 Issue 1, p149
Examines the seasonal variation in the diet of great horned owls on shortgrass prairie in Colorado. Assessment of the use of diet composition to determine where owls forage; Reflection of the food habit of great horned owls on the relative abundance of prey; Importance of deer mice and kangaroo...
- Cool owls. Miller, Claire // Ranger Rick;Feb95, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p31
Discusses the nesting habits of great horned owls. Laying of eggs as early as January; Use of nests built by hawks, crows or squirrels; Food choices of baby owls.
- Great Horned Owl. Ramaley, Shirley Anne // Boys' Quest;Feb/Mar2011, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p38
The article presents information on great horned owl.
- Tiger of the air. Cole, John N. // Country Journal;Nov/Dec95, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p53
Features North America's great horned owl. Tales of the bird's aggressions; Animals that make up its feeding list; Owl's courting calls; Nesting behavior.
- At a glance: Great horned owls. // Country Journal;Nov/Dec95, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p80
Provides information on great horned owls.
- The great horned owl. Payne, Nancy Marie // Conservationist;Dec94, Vol. 49 Issue 3, p40
Discusses various aspects of the great horned owl. Physical characteristics; Habitat; Contact information.
- Owl in the family. Lynch, Wayne // Canadian Geographic;May/Jun2003, Vol. 123 Issue 3, p98
Presents photographs of a female great horned owl and its nest in Calgary, Canada in 2002. Danger facing the siblings when food is scarce; Protection from the owls defending their nests.
- An Eye Out for Owls. Linstead, Scott // Highlights;Sep2009, Vol. 64 Issue 9, p6
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of seeing great horned owls in his neighborhood.