DBS TAX STICKS
- DBS Ops Sue Over Sales Tax. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;6/30/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 26, p32
DirecTV Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp. have sued Ohio over a satellite sales tax included in the state's budget package, signed June 26, 2003 by Governor Bob Taft. These direct-broadcast satellite companies argued that the 6 percent sales tax in the omnibus budget reconciliation bill is...
- Direct-Broadcast Satellite Firms Seek Tax Changes. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;8/13/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 32, p40
The article reports on the lobbying efforts of EchoStar Communications and DirecTV for the passage of a new law that will prevent states from charging sales taxes to satellite television providers in the U.S. The firms are looking to include the tax provisions into proposed legislation that will...
- DBS Ops Attack Tenn. Tax. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;8/25/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 34, p38
Reports that DirectTV Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp. filed suit on August 19, 2003 over a sales tax in Tennessee. Details on the lawsuit; Arguments of cable operators; Counter arguments of the plaintiffs.
- In the Courts:. // CableFAX Daily;8/3/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 149, p2
The article reports on the ruling by the state Court of Appeals in North Carolina that its sales tax on satellite television was fair. Broadcast companies DirecTV and Echostar challenged the sales tax in court.
- Battle in the skies. Coleman, Price // Broadcasting & Cable;03/16/98, Vol. 128 Issue 11, p64
Focuses on changes made in programming EchoStar Communications and DirecTV company. Indepth look at changes made at EchoStar; National Football League and National Basketball Association programming offered by DirectTV; Cost of cable programs at EchoStar.
- U.S. satellite homes top 10M. // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;10/11/99, Vol. 14 Issue 23, p1
Reports on the number of digital satellite receiver homes in the United States at the end of the third quarter of 1999. Reports from DirecTV and EchoStar Communications Corp.
- Ahead of the Pack. Karrfalt, Wayne // Multichannel News;10/28/2002 Supplement, Vol. 23, p32B
Focuses on the pace set by direct broadcasting services (DBS) companies in the competitive markets of the U.S. Cable Industry to win subscribers for Latino pay tiers. Growth of the Hispanic satellite subscriptions in the U.S.; Approach to the Hispanic marketplace changed by DBS company DirecTV...
- Judge Deals Setback to DBS Merger. Hearn, Ted; Enrich, David // Multichannel News;11/11/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 45, p42
Reports that federal judge rejected the November 18, 2002 trial date of the antitrust case against the merger of direct broadcast satellite providers EchoStar Communications Corp. and Hughes Electronics Corp., parent of DirecTV Inc. in the week preceding November 11, 2002. Reason for rejection...
- Cable's Hole Card: Internal Returns. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;11/25/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 47, p23
Reports that direct-broadcast satellite (DBS) giants EchoStar Communications Inc. and DirecTV Inc. are continuing to steal television broadcasting market share from cable operators despite a failure of merger between the two companies. Number of subscribers for DBS; Subscriber values for DBS...