FCC: A LONG TIMELINE OF REFORM
- Cable Television and Advertising: An Assessment. Krugman, Dean M.; Barban, Arnold M. // Journal of Advertising;Fall78, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p4
Since its inception, the cable television industry has experienced a large growth rate. Today 16 percent of the U.S. television homes are linked to some form of cable. While there have been numerous federal, state, and local inquiries and a great deal of literature devoted to cable development...
- Evolution of the Cable Industry. // Congressional Digest;Feb1991, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p34
Traces the evolution of the cable television industry from its 1949 debut to the 1984 Cable Communications Policy Act.
- The end of an... error? Hochberg, Phillip R. // MediaWeek;02/09/98, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p14
Opinion. Presents the author's view on the decision of WTBS, the Atlanta superstation to be converted to a proprietary service in December 31, 1997. Cost for the right of carrying the channel; Twists in the history of cable channel's distant signals in the United States; Passage of copyright...
- ACA Through the Years. // Multichannel News;4/7/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 14, p18
The article offers information on the history of the American Cable Association (ACA). It was formerly known as the Small Cable Business Association (SCBA) which represented small independent cable operators on various critical issues. It provides the important events and issues that helped...
- Did We Really Say That? // Saturday Evening Post;Sep/Oct2012, Vol. 284 Issue 5, p16
The article presents a reflection on several comments made in the May 2, 1964 issue of the periodical "The Saturday Evening News," on the topic of paying for cable television.
- Pocono Country. // Broadcasting & Cable;4/12/2004, Vol. 134 Issue 15, p15
Examines the cable television market in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania as of April 12, 2004. History of cable television in Wilkes-Barre; Television revenue of the region; Significance of television stations to the economy of the region.
- Greased poles and velvet ropes. Ludington // Multichannel News;01/10/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p57
Presents lessons from the history of the cable television industry which can be used in the development of broadband communication systems. Potential services which can be delivered over cable; Time needed for turning technology into a financially capable and reliable customer service; Issues...
- Many strands grew together to build cable. Setlowe, Richard // Variety;11/03/97, Vol. 368 Issue 13, p66
Focuses on the history of cable television industry. Cable television network Home Box Office's (HBO) beginnings; Problems faced by the industry during its early days; Factors which helped the industry's expansion and growth.
- CONSTITUTIONALITY OF APPLYING THE FCC'S INDECENCY RESTRICTION TO CABLE TELEVISION. Cohen, Henry // Journal of Current Issues in Media & Telecommunications;2012, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p177
Various federal officials have spoken in favor of extending the Federal Communication Commission's indecency restriction, which currently applies to broadcast television and radio, to cable and satellite television. This report examines whether such an extension would violate the First...