Sailing for Freedom
- ABOARD THE AMISTAD. // Essence (Time Inc.);May2003, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p188
Pays homage to the Freedom Schooner Amistad, which is a re-creation of the Spanish vessel on which enslaved Africans successfully revolted against their captors in 1839. Information on songstress Heather Headley who board the craft to celebrate the independent spirit of the historical ship;...
- Saga of the Guerrero. // Weekly Reader News - Senior;11/19/2004, Vol. 83 Issue 11, p7
Presents information on the history of the Spanish slave ship Guerrero. Number of African slaves aboard the ship; Discussion on the battle between the British warship Nimble and Guerrero; Information on the documentary film adaptation of Guerrero.
- Ship of Freedom. Greenberg, Glenn // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;05/15/2000, Vol. 56 Issue 26, p3
Reports on the victory against slavery on board the Amistad ship and looks at a modern replica of the Amistad.
- SHIP OF FREEDOM. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3 (Teacher's Edition);5/15/2000, Vol. 56 Issue 26, p3
Provides a background on the freedom of Afro-American slaves aboard the `Amistad' ship from slavery with questions and resources for school children.
- THE SLAVE SHIP REBELLION. Cook, Fred J. // American Heritage;Feb1957, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p60
The article recounts the slave rebellion aboard the ship Amistad in 1839. It describes the inhuman treatment of the slaves which lead the slaves' leader, Cinque, to exhort his men to action. A detailed depiction of the rebellion is provided which resulted in the slaves taking control of the...
- Know the News. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 3;1/18/2008, Vol. 77 Issue 15, p4
A quiz about the African slavery aboard the Amistad is presented.
- A Practice Begins. Swann-Wright, Dianne // Footsteps;May/Jun2002, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p7
Traces the start of the slavery of Africans in North America. Role of European settlers in starting the trend in slavery; Creation of the Atlantic slave trade; Type of work demanded from enslaved men, women and children.
- Gilder Lehrman Center Amistad Page. Williams, Bina // School Library Journal;Jul2003, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p56
Reviews the Web site Gilder Lehrman Center Amistad Page.
- Life on an African Slave Ship (Book Review). Woodward, Janet // School Library Journal;May2001, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p168
Reviews the book `Life on an African Slave Ship,' by Joseph Kleinman and Eileen Kurtis-Kleinman.