Drill Bits Are Forever
- Cutting for Color: What's the Real Ideal? Roskin, Gary // JCK;Jul2006, Vol. 177 Issue 7, p168
The article presents insights from gemologist Stephen Hofer on the viability of improving the color of a round fancy color diamond by cutting it to Ideal proportions. Other diamond experts say that the process could also improve their performance. However, Hofer warns that some stones should not...
- King of Diamonds. Betts, Kate // Time;Winter2005 Supplement Style & Desig, Vol. 166, p34
The article profiles Laurence Graff, a diamond dealer and wholesale customer at DeBeers' mines in South Africa. Graff is known for his ability to recognize quality precious stones. The value of diamonds declined in the early 1980s because pension and investment funds were buying diamonds as a...
- New Old Miners. Roskin, Gary // JCK;Jun2001, Vol. 172 Issue 6, p78
Focuses on the proliferation of reproductions of antique-cut diamonds in the market. Necessity of wariness on the part of jewelers; Practice of selling reproductions as originals; Usual sources of reproduction antique-cut diamonds.
- POP ROCKS. Gifford, Bill // New Republic;12/26/94, Vol. 211 Issue 26, p9
Examines the competition posed by Russian-made synthetic diamonds to the monopoly of the diamond market to DeBeers as of 1994. Comparison between synthetic and natural diamonds; History of manufacturing synthetic diamonds; Reason behind the speculation that DeBeers is undermining the market for...
- Did Newsweek Synthetic Story Get It Wrong? // JCK;May2005, Vol. 176 Issue 5, p58
Focuses on the article published in the "Newsweek International Edition," which contends on the capacity of De Beers synthetic testing machines to detect chemical vapor deposition in synthetic diamonds. Statement of Jeery Ehrenwald of the International Gemmological Institute on the failure of...
- China Rocks! Bates, Rob // JCK;Aug2004, Vol. 175 Issue 8, p72
Reports on the conditions of the diamond industry in China. Increase in the consumer demand for the precious stone with the advertising campaigns of De Beers; International competitive advantage of the diamond manufacturing sector; Complaints about the value-added tax on diamond sales.
- The Bounce Back. // JCK;Sep2014, Vol. 145 Issue 8, p46
The article focuses on the slow U.S. gem market as of summer 2014. It mentions that despite the slowdown, diamond market shows results consistent with expectations with demand focusing on well-made rounds and ovals. It adds that retail jewelers face challenges on tight margins and rely on memo...
- How To Pick A Diamond: The Four Cs. Applefeld Olson, Catherine // Billboard;8/21/2004, Vol. 116 Issue 34, p47
Discusses the criteria used in evaluating the value of diamonds. Meaning of the word carat; Rule in determining the clarity of a diamond; Scale for diamond colors established by the Gemological Institute of America; Variety of cuts that comprise the shape of the stone.
- GLAMMING UP THE GUYS. // JCK;Jun2005, Vol. 176 Issue 6, p162
The article presents information on several diamond watches. The stainless-steel Bulova Marine Star watch features 11 diamond hour markers on a mother-of-pearl dial, with a rotating bezei, screwback case, and foldover buckle, water resistant to 100 meters. Omega's stainless-steel Speed master...