Going for Gold
- Renewables Remain More Desired than Real. Bonetto, Clotilde; Storry, Mark // Power;May2010, Vol. 154 Issue 5, p74
The article explores the renewable energy sources of Mexico such as hydrothermal and geothermal resources. It notes conventional hydrothermal plant as the largest source of renewable energy in Mexico, accounting around 22% of the country's installed capacity while the geothermal sources has an...
- How to save Old Faithful. Barrick, Kenneth A. // Agroborealis;Spring2009, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p23
The article examines the efforts in protecting the Geyser Basins. It states that these geologic features are vulnerable to irreversible damage or quenching from nearby human development activities such as industrial-scale electricity production, filling of hydroelectric reservoirs, and...
- 3D Geothermal Modelling of the Mount Amiata Hydrothermal System in Italy. Fulignati, Paolo; Marianelli, Paola; Sbrana, Alessandro; Ciani, Valentina // Energies (19961073);2014, Vol. 7 Issue 11, p7434
In this paper we build a subsurface model that helps in visualizing and understanding the structural framework, geology and their interactions with the Mt. Amiata geothermal system. Modelling in 3D provides the possibility to interpolate the geometry of structures and is an effective way of...
- O, H, and Sr isotope evidences of mixing processes in two geothermal fluid reservoirs at Yangbajing, Tibet, China. Qinghai Guo; Yanxin Wang; Wei Liu // Environmental Earth Sciences;Feb2010, Vol. 59 Issue 7, p1589
The Yangbajing geothermal field with the highest reservoir temperature among Chinese hydrothermal systems is located about 90 km northwest to Lhasa City, capital of Tibet, where high temperature geothermal fluids occur in two reservoirs: a shallow one at a depth of 180â€“280 m and a deep...
- Containing Small Hydropower and Wind Power System Optimal Spinning Reserve. Zhi-Jian LIU; Ning LIANG; Dong-dong WAGN // Applied Mechanics & Materials;2014, Issue 667-679, p342
When larger scale of small hydropower and wind power exist in power system, the traditional reserve capacity algorithm is no longer applicable at the same time of reducing the carbon emission. Aiming at the volatility and non-regulatory of small hydropower and wind power, considering the...
- THE LAST WORD. // New Scientist;11/21/2015, Vol. 228 Issue 3048, p149
The article offers questions and answers on topics related to science, including the influence that the moon has on planet Earth's tides, the challenges of geothermal energy and the mechanism through which wind turbine power is generated.
- High-voltage hues give power station glow of respectability. // Architectural Record;Aug1997, Vol. 185 Issue 8, p105
Focuses on Dewar Place, a power systems substation's, redevelopment of its lighting system. Who designed the lighting for the substation.
- The 10 most common mistakes in planning, building a thermal plant. Reeves, William L. // Electrical World;Mar1995, Vol. 209 Issue 3, p54
Lists and discusses the ten common mistakes in planning and building steam and cogeneration plants in electric power industry. INSET: Using plant water systems to flush out problems..
- Performance analysis of wind turbine systems under different parameters effect. Salih, Salih Mohammed; Taha, Mohammed Qasim; Alawsaj, Mohammed K. // International Journal of Energy & Environment;2012, Vol. 3 Issue 6, p895
In this paper, simulation models are used to study the performance of small power systems based on different weather parameters. The results are extracted using Matlab software program for analyzing the performance of two wind turbines: Whisper-500 3.2KW and NY-WSR1204 600W which have the same...