New Concept Fights Childhood Obesity
- Pilot Study: Ohio schools now testing wrap line. // FoodService Director;08/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 8, p6
Reports that Xenia Community Schools in Xenia, Ohio, is starting to experiment with lunch wraps. Brief description of the wraps; Comments from JoAnne Robinett, the food service director.
- Lunch and a Song. // Food Management;Oct2001, Vol. 36 Issue 10, p16
Features the theme song of the foodservice department of a public school in Charlotte County, Florida. Title of the song; Role of music in the development of a healthy environment for students; Attitude of students toward the song.
- In Utah, California, food in schools becomes hot-button issue. King, Paul // Nation's Restaurant News;9/24/2001, Vol. 35 Issue 39, p18
Details issues on nonnutritious foods in elementary and secondary schools in the United States. Legislation on the restriction of schoolchildren from access to sodas and snacks; Mandate on 90 minutes of structured physical education; Effects of the bills on cafeterias and school programs like...
- Counts grow in Big Apple. // FoodService Director;5/15/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p12
Reports on an increase in lunch participation in New York City public high schools as of December 2004. Factors that contributed to the increase, including new marketing programs; Dishes offered by foodservice facilities in the high schools; Efforts of the facilities in offering healthy food...
- DEBATE OF THE WEEK. // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;10/24/2011, Vol. 74 Issue 6, p7
The article provides the opinion of the American public regarding the move of the public schools in Los Angeles, California to stop offering chocolate and strawberry milk in the cafeterias due to high sugar content.
- PLUS SHIFT TO PREPARED FOODS: Branding, a la carte sales help Tenn. district build revenue. Bond, Marian // FoodService Director;07/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p50
Reports on the changes in foodservice management in Nashville-Davidson County Metropolitan Public Schools in Tennessee. Factors considered in implementing the changes; Menu options at the high school levels; Way of offsetting labor shortages in the district.
- School specialist links nutrition, fiscal solvency. Alexis, Jennifer // FoodService Director;5/15/2006, Vol. 19 Issue 5, p32
The article profiles Beverly Girard, director of food and nutrition services at Sarasota County Public Schools in Florida. Girard's aims to reenergize the staff, improve the quality and nutrition profile of the food and achieve financial stability for the department. But her objectives were...
- District Closes Cafeterias to Save Money. // FoodService Director;7/15/2014, Vol. 27 Issue 7, p12
The article reports that as part of an effort to balance the 2014-2015 school year budget, 13 middle school cafeterias are being closed by School District 43, in British Columbia.
- Districts Taking Healthy Strides. // FoodService Director;6/15/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p34
Discusses the progress that school cafeterias are making in offering nutritious foods to students in the U.S. Percentage of school meals that are served a la carte; Healthy foods that are offered by the Washington County public schools; Information on the strategies implemented by some...