Software Will Drive Media
- Microsoft Lands More Movie and TV Deals. Moresco, Justin // Red Herring;1/7/2008, p8
The article announces that Microsoft has added Disney-ABC Television Group and Metro-Goldwyn-Myer Studios (MGM) to its growing list of partners that license movies and television programming to the software giant's online services. These are the latest in content deals that should help Microsoft...
- MICROSOFT CARRIES TORCH. Fritz, Ben // Daily Variety;1/7/2008, Vol. 298 Issue 1, p1
The article reports that Microsoft had announced a major partnership with National Broadcasting Co. (NBC) to webcast the Olympic games in the U.S. Every event will be available both as a live stream and on demand. Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, assisted by top executives including Robbie Bach,...
- ABC pick six pix from MGM. Richmond, Ray // Variety;03/09/98, Vol. 370 Issue 4, p30
Focuses on the licensing deal of the American Broadcasting Co. with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Worldwide Television Group. Estimate worth of the deal; Films of MGM to be aired on ABC.
- FILM COMPANY NEWS. // Film Journal International;Apr2002, Vol. 105 Issue 4, p56
Presents updates on several film productions by various companies, as of April 2002. 'Haunted Mansion,' from Disney; 'Out of Time,' from MGM; 'Kill Bill,' from Miramax.
- BIZ Briefs. Sherman, Jay; Halonen, Doug // Television Week;2/23/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p20
Presents news briefs on television broadcasting, as of February 23, 2004. Discussion on the merger plan of Comcast Corp. and Walt Disney Co.; Reaction of ABC station group on the Comcast-Disney deal; Information on corporate profits of several broadcasting companies, including MGM.
- DW's Gruberg appointed Sr. Vp media at MGM. Sperling, Nicole // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;9/6/2006, Vol. 395 Issue 50, p4
The article reports that Amy Gruberg has been appointed as senior vice president of media operations at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM). In her new role, Gruberg will oversee the media strategy and placement for each of the studio's films and build brand extensions for MGM's television...
- ABC SECURES 'BOND.' Dempsey, John // Daily Variety;01/17/2001, Vol. 270 Issue 33, p14
Reports that United States-based television network American Broadcasting Co. (ABC) has purchased broadcast rights to several James Bond movies from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. (MGM) as of January 17, 2001. Details of the ABC-MGM deal; Titles of the movies included in the deal.
- The History of Sound in the Cinema. Hanson, Dion // Cinema Technology;Jul1998, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p8
The article discusses the history of sound in cinema. In 1896, Frenchman Auguste Baron synchronized sound with picture and gave a demonstration at an exposition in 1900 featuring Sarah Bernhardt reading "Hamlet." The first sound system is based on Thomas Edison's phonograph. Warner Bros. Inc.,...
- Famous firings a tough ax to follow. Bart, Peter // Daily Variety;9/28/2009, Vol. 304 Issue 60, p2
The author comments on issues related to the entertainment industry in the U.S. He discusses the reaction on the way Bob Iger, chief executive officer (CEO) of Walt Disney Co., terminated studio chairman Dick Cook. He also talks about the trend of motion picture companies to remake films by...