Satellite Stocks Ready To Blast Off?
- Iridium tests its wings. Gohring, Nancy // Telephony;11/02/98, Vol. 235 Issue 18, p7
Highlights Iridium's optimism for the initial launch of its satellite telephony service on November 1, 1998. Reasons for the delay in the commercial introduction; Global advertising campaign; Qualified leads; Prospects for satellite telephony services.
- Iridium's Grand Vision Crashes to Earth. Lundquist, Eric // PC Week;08/23/99, Vol. 16 Issue 34, p114
Discusses the filing for Chapter Eleven bankruptcy by Iridium in August 1999. How the idea for the global satellite telephone system came up; The role played by the popularity of cellular telephones; The assertion that Iridium ignored technology growth; Warning not to stay focused on a solution...
- The interactive super-hype-way. Johnson, Bradley // Advertising Age;3/28/1994, Vol. 65 Issue 13, p15
Reports on critic's reactions to Microsoft chairman Bill Gates and McCaw Cellular Communications chairman Craig McCaw's scheme launching communications satellites. Skepticism over financing of information superhighway project; Services to be offered by global satellite communications network;...
- A Requiem, A Reality Check. Lee, Rikki // Wireless Week;04/03/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 14, p4
Deals with the bankruptcy of Iridium, a satellite-based mobile communication systems company in the United States. Factors which contributed to the failure of Iridium; Comparison between Iridium and the Globalstar artificial satellite system; Satellite service costs.
- Heads Up! Satellites To Burn. // Wireless Week;08/28/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 35, p1
Reports that Iridium LLC will destroy its network of satellites. Reason behind the move.
- Iridium loans lift satellite hopes. // Telecommunications - International Edition;Feb99, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p11
Reports on telecommunications firm Iridium LLC's loan to finance its satellite project. Loan from Chase Securities and Barclays Capital; Optimism over the future of the next generation satellite communication systems.
- Iridium--a case study in progress. Halligan // Electronic Design;09/20/99, Vol. 47 Issue 19, p18
Editorial. Comments on the failure of Iridium LLC to realize its vision of a global satellite phone system. Company's filing for Chapter 11 reorganization; Criticisms regarding the Iidium technology; Inability to reconcile technology with market realities; Value of the entrepreneurial drive.
- Iridium begins countdown. // Telephony;01/13/97, Vol. 232 Issue 2, p44
Highlights Iridium's launch of the first three satellites of its 66-satellite system which will provide voice, fax and data service.
- The final countdown. Meyers, Jason // Telephony;11/17/97, Vol. 233 Issue 20, p36
Focuses on Iridium Inc.'s low earth orbit satellite system called Iridium. Unification of the elements for various types of communication networks as the system's function; Components and benefits of the system for network operators; Total number of Iridium's satellites planned for...