- Liability crisis attracts attention on Capitol Hill. Wechsler, Jill // Managed Healthcare Executive;Sep2002, Vol. 12 Issue 9, p16
Discusses the issues faced by the healthcare industry in the U.S. Liability insurance crisis in healthcare delivery; Decline in the enrollment in Medicare+Choice program; Availability of performance information on health plans.
- INDUSTRY SCAN. // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);Sep2001, Vol. 55 Issue 9, p20
Presents an update on the healthcare financial industry in the United States as of September 2001. Financial outlook for Medicare; One side effect of welfare reform; Reason the Census Bureau plans to revise the methodology used to estimate the number of people with and without health insurance.
- Rethinking Reimbursement. Kumar, Sanjaya // Trustee;Jan2011, Vol. 64 Issue 1, p34
In the article the author shares her views on the reimbursement plan of the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) as a way to improve performance transparency in health care in 2011. According to the author, the reimbursement plan places burdens on medical staff in terms of data...
- Medicare Reform — Now Is the Time. Wilensky, Gail R. // New England Journal of Medicine;8/9/2001, Vol. 345 Issue 6, p458
The author reflects on issues related to Medicare reform in the U.S. According to the author, unlike almost all other health plans, Medicare effectively offers no coverage for prescription drugs for outpatients and no protection against very large medical bills. She states that a Medicare...
- Health Savings Accounts Seen as Way to Put Control Back Into Consumers' Hands. Allen, Mike // San Diego Business Journal;2/9/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p12
Provides information about the health savings account, which is a component of the amended Medicare law approved by Congress in the U.S. Concept behind the accounts; Similarity of the accounts with the Individual Retirement Accounts; Obstacles to the mass adoption of health savings accounts and...
- UNIVERSAL TRUTHS. Baldwin, Gary // Health Data Management;Nov2008, Vol. 16 Issue 11, p4
The author reflects on several issues related to Medicare in the U.S. He relates asking one of the protestors, which he encountered in Chicago, Illinois, how the health care industry could make the transition from private, employer-based insurance to a federal program that encompassed everyone....
- Preserve Medicare. Hayes, Robert M. // Financial Planning;Jul2006, Vol. 36 Issue 7, p112
Stresses the role of Medicare in solving the healthcare crisis facing the U.S. Failure of the U.S. to provide universal access to healthcare; Criticism of the government's use of Medicare; Benefits from the health insurance program.
- Another Year of Medicare cutbacks. Feldman, Judy // Money;Jan2002, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p105
Discusses briefly the issue of Medicare recipients being dropped by their health maintenance organizations (HMO) and the options that these people have for medical care in the United States. Number of Medicare recipients losing coverage benefits on January 1, 2002; Option of patients to use...
- The controversy over Medicare reform. Luhby, Tami // Fort Worth Business Press;12/17/2012, Vol. 24 Issue 50, p12
The article reports on the controversy surrounding Medicare reform in the U.S. in December 2012. Such health insurance program for senior citizens is considered as a large driver of deficit growth. The article also mentions that a portion of Medicare spending comes from payroll taxes, which...