AN ARTFUL DEFENSE
- WESTCHESTER ITALIAN CULTURAL CLUB: PICTURING MARY. // Westchester County Business Journal;12/1/2014 Supplement, Vol. 50, p9
The article reviews the exhibition "Picturing Mary," an international collection of artworks depicting the Virgin Mary in various forms, which is on view from December 6 through 24, 2014 by the Westchester Italian Cultural Center in New York.
- VIRGINS NO MORE. Steinfels, Margaret O'Brien // Commonweal;05/19/2000, Vol. 127 Issue 10, p23
Discusses the impact of a picture entitled `The Holy Virgin Mary,' by British artist Chris Ofili, which was featured in the `Sensation' exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum of Art, to the city of New York. Reason behind the demand of New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani that the picture be removed...
- Papal Madonnamania. Lee, Donald // Art Newspaper;Sep2011, Issue 227, p76
The article offers information on the exhibition "Heavenly Splendour: Raphael, DÃ¼rer and GrÃ¼newald Paint the Madonna" at the GemÃ¤ldegalerie Alte Meister in Dresden, Germany from September 2011 through January 8, 2012.
- Pranava Prakash's nude paintings of Bollywood movie stars are vandalized. Park, Joann // Asia Pacific Arts;2/ 3/2012, p1
The article discusses the art vandalism reported at the art exhibition "Bollywood Unlimited: Satisfaction Guaranteed" at the Espace Alternative Gallery in Noida, India in October 2012.
- New light on Rossetti's Girlhood of Mary Virgin. Grieve, Alastair // British Art Journal;Summer2003, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p83
The article focuses on a study for Dante Gabriel Rossetti's "The Girlhood of Mary Virgin," which is said to be the first exhibited Pre-Raphaelite picture, shown at the Free Exhibition in London, England in March 1849. Rossetti mentions, in a letter dated August 20, 1848, that he had made a...
- The pain of Compassio: Mary's labor at the foot of the cross. Neff, Amy // Art Bulletin;Jun98, Vol. 80 Issue 2, p254
Discusses the theological significance of several icons of Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ. `Arrest of Christ, Virgin Supported by John'; `Crucifixion'; `Descent from the Cross.'
- Make no assumption with images of Mary. Martinez, Demetria // National Catholic Reporter;8/13/93, Vol. 29 Issue 36, p21
Opinion. Comments on the statue of Mary at Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Opposite of the image of a blue-clad 16-year old Mary; Image of a wise and mature Mary; Parish selection of artwork from New Mexico artists; Artist Byron Wickstrom.
- Outrage at secret loan to church. Varoli, John // Art Newspaper;Jan2010, Vol. 18 Issue 209, p13
The article reports on the removal of the 14th-century Toropets Virgin Mary icon from the Russian Museum to a new church in the village of Toropets.
- Crowds descend on Shanghai; Yue Minjun sculptures damaged. Gill, Chris // Art Newspaper;Oct2008, Vol. 17 Issue 195, p9
The article reports that a series of dinosaur sculptures by Chinese artist Yue Minjun were damaged by visitors to the Shanghai Biennale in China. Some of the visitors climbed the sculptures and rode on their backs, The event was attended by over 5,000 visitors a day after its opening. According...