ARE YOU MENTALLY DISORDERED?
- Healing invisibile wounds of war. Coryn, John // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);3/19/2009, Vol. 20 Issue 12, p2
In this article the author discusses the importance of initiating efforts dedicated to the treatment of mental health conditions resulted from war in the U.S.
- Surgeon General reports mental disorders in 20% of population. Runy, Lee Ann // AHA News;12/20/99, Vol. 35 Issue 49, p4
Reports on the prevalence of mental disorders in the United States. Barriers for treatment; Recommendations for individuals with mental disorders.
- Modern epidemic: Mental distress. Segell, Michael // Cosmopolitan;May94, Vol. 216 Issue 5, p74
Focuses on the prevalence of psychiatric problems among Americans. Mental disorder; Characteristics of people likely to suffer mental problems; Seeking of professional help.
- Stigma thwarts treatment of mentally ill. Williams, Armstrong // New York Amsterdam News;01/25/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 4, p8
Reports that social stigma discourages Americans from seeking psychiatric treatment in the United States. Expected number of Americans that will experience diagnosable mental disorders in 2001; Marginalization of the mentally ill.
- For severe mental illness, a higher profile and new hope. Brink, Susan // U.S. News & World Report;12/20/99, Vol. 127 Issue 24, p62
Discusses rising acknowledgement in the United States of mental illness as a treatable disease, focusing especially on schizophrenia. A surgeon's general's report on the subject stating the ability of some sufferers to recover; Problems with inadequate medical care; The dilemma in families...
- MAINTAINING MENTAL HEALTH. Chernin, Tammy // Drug Topics;6/4/2001, Vol. 145 Issue 11, p33
Discusses the trends and patterns of psychiatric pharmacotherapy in the United States (U.S.). Action taken by the U.S. government to promote mental health; Significance of pharmaceutical research; Treatment for anxiety disorder; Chronic nature of depression; Mood stabilizers used in treating...
- Primary Prevention: A Road Paved with a Plethora of Promises and Procrastinations. Sprinthall, Norman A. // Personnel & Guidance Journal;Apr84, Vol. 62 Issue 8, p491
Discusses the importance of primary prevention programs for mental health in secondary schools in the U.S. Examination of the program content of counselor education programs; Goal of balanced development; Discrepancy between the goals of schooling and student perceptions; Curriculum content and...
- Mental illness and the criminal justice system. Rich, Adam // State Government News;May2002, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p14
Deals with the Council of State Government's Criminal Justice/Mental Health Consensus Project. Statistics on mentally ill persons booked in U.S. jails; Information on some state programs that address the health needs of mentally ill people; Principle of the project. INSET: Report available online.
- Mental Illness Overview. // Congressional Digest;Jan2002, Vol. 81 Issue 1, p3
Discusses the social and economic impact of mental illness in the United States. Facts about mental illness; Comparison between mental health and mental illness; Parity in coverage of mental health care.