Teachers' Perspectives on the Use of Pedometers as Instructional Technology in Physical Education: A Cautionary Tale
- Physical education teachers' use of practitioner inquiry: effective, enjoyable and relevant professional learning. Goodyear, Victoria A.; Casey, Ashley; Kirk, David // Asia-Pacific Journal of Health, Sport & Physical Education;Mar2013, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p19
Practitioner inquiry has been offered as a meaningful and sustainable form of professional learning for a number of decades. However, in the context of physical education it has been recently argued that this is still underdeveloped and is far from being embedded into physical education...
- Pedometers: Using Technology to Motivate Students to Get Off Their Behinds. Sipes, Roberta // Illinois Journal for Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Da;Fall2005, Vol. 56, p26
The article discusses the use of pedometers in physical education for children. Pedometers can be used to motivate children to engage in physical activity. Several pedometer activities are recommended. It is important for physical education teachers to adopt new resources and discover new ideas...
- Professional Learning Experience of Pre-service PE Teachers during Teaching Practice. Chung Li // Journal of Physical Education & Recreation (10287418);2007, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p10
This paper is concerned with a qualitative study of how 15 pre-service PE teachers, who are taking the two-year full-time teacher training course, develop professionally in their second field experience. With the interpretive research paradigm as conceptual framework, data were collected through...
- The Effectiveness of Mentoring-Based Professional Development on Physical Education Teachers' Pedometer and Computer Efficacy and Anxiety. Martin, Jeffrey J.; McCaughtry, Nate; Kulinna, Pamela; Cothran, Donetta; Faust, Roberta // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Jan2008, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p68
The purpose of our study was to examine the impact of mentoring-based professional development on physical education teachers' efficacy. Experienced mentor teachers were paired (n = 15) with inexperienced protï¿½gï¿½ teachers (n = 15) at the beginning of a yearlong intervention study. It...
- Steps Towards Better Teaching: A Lesson Plan for Incorporating Pedometers into the PETE Curriculum. Bechtel, Pamela A.; Keylock, K. Todd; Morgan, Amy L. // Future Focus (Ohio Association for Health, Physical Education, R;Sep2010, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p12
There is tremendous support for the integration of pedometers and other appropriate technology into the P-12 physical education curriculum. In physical education, the incorporation of pedometers can help the teacher assess activity level, help parents appreciate that learning occurs in physical...
- Idea Exchange. // NEA Today;Oct2001, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p26
Presents tips on teaching. Advice for physical education teachers; Use of charity address labels; Idea on encouraging students to aspire for top-level jobs.
- Misapplication of Teaching Concepts. Hare, Molly K. // Teaching Elementary Physical Education;Jan2002, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p15
Provides examples showing the misapplication of the teaching concepts by physical education teachers. Correction of every performance error that is noticed; Use of circle of parallel line organizational patterns in any sport setting; Resolutions for appropriate application of the rule of teaching.
- Using Comprehensive Teaching Models to Enhance Pedagogical Content Knowledge. Mohr, Derek J.; Townsend, J. Scott // Teaching Elementary Physical Education;Jul2002, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p32
Evaluates the use of comprehensive teaching models to enhance physical education teachers' pedagogical content knowledge. Sport education; Tactical games approach; Ecological task analysis.
- Physical Educators' Technology Competencies and Usage. Woods, Marianne L.; Karp, Grace Goc; Hui Miao; Perlman, Dana // Physical Educator;Spring2008, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p82
The purpose of this study was to examine K-12 physical education teachers' perceptions of ability and usage of technology. Physical educators (n=114) completed the Physical Education Technology Usage Survey assessing their perceived technology competency, how and why they utilize technology,...