Dohori Song in the "New Nepal."
- The songs of Tij: A genre of critical commentary for women in Nepal. Skinner, Debra; Holland, Dorothy // Asian Folklore Studies;1994, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p259
Analyzes the production, performance, content of songs featured in the Tij festival in Nepal, and their role in defining gender identities and relations within changing sociohistorical contexts. Women's performance of rituals that reaffirm patrilineal principles; Genre of critical commentary...
- The singer-song-writer grows up fast on her new album. Cannon, Bob // Performing Songwriter;Sep/Oct2008, Vol. 16 Issue 112, p12
The article features singer-songwriter Sonya Kitchell and her new album "This Storm." It says that the sound of Kitchell's album depicts a rapidly developing artist. It states that the songs "Soldier's Lament" and "Borderline" reflect the artist's way of addressing social and political issues....
- School head in California -- pop star in Nepal. // Independent School;Summer2011, Vol. 70 Issue 4, Special Page p7
The article presents information on Josh Brody, the director of the Sequoyah School in California. Along with being an educator, he also is a pop star in Nepal. He learnt singing Nepali songs during his tours to Nepal for learning Nepali language. Brody uses his experiences of working in Nepal,...
- For '90s kids, the boom box's blast has drowned out the written word. Raymo, Chet // Christian Science Monitor;12/24/97, Vol. 90 Issue 21, p18
Opinion. Contends that music has replaced the printed word as the chief source of intellectual stimulation for many youths. Why silence is anathema in the late 1990s; How music used to speak to the heart; Why the music of the 1990s is often a detachment of form and meaning; The importance of...
- Griottes: Female voices from West Africa. Hale, Thomas A. // Research in African Literatures;Fall94, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p71
Analyzes the differences between the male and female griots from West Africa and explains the exclusion of females from textual studies. Emerging visibility of griots in western popular culture; Social function and verbal art of griots as artisans of the spoken and sung word; Introduction of...
- Singing in America. Elliott, Charles A. // Music Educators Journal;Jan90, Vol. 76 Issue 5, p24
Looks at the tradition of singing in American communities, suggesting the type of songs children should be learning as it pertains to their enjoyment and understanding America's heritage. Information on the `Bay Psalm Book;' How music is viewed in the 90's; Importance of music education.
- Cultural counterpoint. Leymarie, Isabelle // UNESCO Courier;Jun95, Vol. 48 Issue 6, p47
Compares different countries cultural orientation to music. Manner of initiating children to music; Rhythm as the strongest distinguishing factor between music types; Acknowledging music as a series of human interaction.
- A lyrical dialogue between two cultures. Peterson, Scott // Christian Science Monitor;10/22/99, Vol. 91 Issue 229, p7
Focuses on a music concert of the Hot House jazz trio with musicians from Syria as a way to expose non-Western cultures to jazz.
- Black women crusade against `gangsta rap'. // Jet;1/10/94, Vol. 85 Issue 10, p15
Reports on black women's groups' crusade to persuade the music industry to clean up violent `gangsta rap' lyrics that demean and threaten women. Call for picket lines around stores selling violent rap; Pressure on producers and distributors to stop its marketing; Constitutional experts'...