Showdown at Central High
- MULTICULTURALISM IN THE MIDDLE SCHOOL. Simonson, Sara D. // Multicultural Review;Sep95, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p36
This article discusses multiculturalism in middle schools in the U.S. To develop a true community of learners in the classroom, educators must be aware of diversity among students and strive for integration of multiculturalism throughout the curriculum. Reaching this level of community involves...
- THE USE OF PSYCHODRAMA ACTION TECHNIQUES IN A RACE RELATIONS CLASS. Kranz, Peter L.; Ramirez, Sylvia Z.; Lund, Nick L. // College Student Journal;Dec2007 Part B, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p1203
This article describes psychodrama action techniques that were effectively implemented in a university-level race relations course. Essential elements of these techniques included acting out and critical self-examination of the individual's personal beliefs. In a semi-structured class format in...
- Desegregation battles intensify. // Academe;Jan/Feb95, Vol. 81 Issue 1, p3
Reports on the drive to eradicate racial differences in Louisiana. Details of the plan.
- Boston schools 10 years after desegregation. // Commonweal;4/19/85, Vol. 112 Issue 10, p239
Since busing started, the overall enrollment in Boston schools has dropped dramatically and the percentage of Blacks and minorities has accelerated sharply. Also, the fiscal burden on the city caused by busing costs has increased substantially. But the change was necessary, as the facts...
- Ark. to pay $118 mil. in school bias settlement. // Jet;3/20/89, Vol. 75 Issue 24, p10
Discusses suit settlement in which the state of Arkansas was accused of failing to prevent illegal segregation in schools. Plans to encourage racial desegregation in Little Rock and state-wide; Summarizes case history.
- TAKING A STAND: Living Memories of Integration In the Civil Rights Era. // Southern Friend;2005, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p3
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the author discusses various articles published within the issue including people who played an active role in the desegregation of schools and other public facilities in the U.S. during the 1950s and 1960s and another on the different aspect...
- Mixing it up in the classroom. Bunce, Alan // Christian Science Monitor;4/2/96, Vol. 88 Issue 88, p14
Examines a controversial school proposal to increase social and economic integration in the classroom in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Comments from Mary Lou McGrath, superintendent of schools, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Court tells Hartford to desegregate schools. Baldauf, Scott // Christian Science Monitor;7/11/96, Vol. 88 Issue 158, p4
Reports on the Connecticut State Supreme Court ruling calling for the desegregation of public schools. Impact of the decision on movements to implement integration plans in schools; State's compliance with court's decision.
- Mo. seeks to end court oversight of K.C. desegregation plan. Hendrie, Caroline // Education Week;5/8/96, Vol. 15 Issue 33, p8
Reports on Missouri's request to declare the school system unitary, or free from the effects of racial segregation. Features of the request; Comment by Attorney General Jay Nixon; Features of Missouri's desegregation plan.