Firing Line Reveals Age Discrimination
- How Do You Say, "You're Fired"? Fulmer, William E. // Business Horizons;Jan/Feb86, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p31
Focuses on factors to consider in terminating managers in a company in the United States. Context of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act; Reasons for the dismissal of the manager; Alternatives to executives dismissal; Impact of the termination on organizational behavior.
- Mandate: Old dogs, new tricks. Allerton, Haidee E. // Training & Development;Jun98, Vol. 52 Issue 6, p8
Cites a ruling by the Superior Court in Sacramento, California that firing an older worker does not prove discrimination. Basis for termination of the plaintiff.
- Court carves out another age-bias class: Employees age 50 and older. // HR Specialist: Pennsylvania Employment Law;Jun2012, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p3
The article offers the author's insight on the court case Karlo, et al., v. Pittsburgh Glass Works dealing with reduction in force (RIF) process that could result to age discrimination among employees.
- Time for ageless judgements. Verespej, Michael A. // Industry Week/IW;03/03/97, Vol. 246 Issue 5, p15
Points out a number of legal issues concerning dismissal of middle managers as a result of corporate downsizing. Redundancy of many middle management positions resulting from improvements in information technology; Increasing incidence of class action lawsuits filed by dismissed middle...
- DOWN AND OUT. Paris, Ellen // Entrepreneur;Sep2000, Vol. 28 Issue 9, p54
Focuses on age-discrimination issues governing the laying off of employees in the United States. Stance of the court regarding age-discrimination claims; Definition of the term `bumping right'; Advice on employers on how to stay out of court.
- LEGAL CHECKLIST. // People Management;6/3/2010, p29
The article reports on the case concerning the termination of the services of assistant football referees after reaching the age of 48 in Great Britain, wherein a court tribunal ruled that the employer's action was discriminatory.
- COURTS EYE AGE BIAS. Seminerio, Maria // eWeek;06/05/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 23, p67
Focuses on two lawsuits pending in the United States Supreme Court and the California Supreme Court that could clarify what constitutes proof of age discrimination in wrongful termination disputes. Details of each case; Significance of the California case for older workers in all fields;...
- Forced Ranking and Age-Related Employment Discrimination. Osborne, Tom; McCann, Laurie A. // Human Rights;Spring2004, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p6
The article discusses the occurrence of age-related employment discrimination and the adoption of forced ranking systems in U.S. companies. Although forced ranking is not a new technique, it attracted scant attention until the economic downturn spotlighted its use by many employers as a tool in...
- Age discrimination inquiries increasing. Montgomery, Jenny // Indiana Lawyer;3/16/2012, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p7
The article focuses on the increase of inquiries of employees about age discrimination from businesses looking to reduce staff in Indiana. The inquiries are increasing primarily in sales force. Attorneys in the state emphasize that their clients ask about their rights and laws on age...