New ruby and pink sapphire deposit in the Lake Baringo area, Kenya
- Genuine Aussie Can'ardlies. // JCK;Mar2006, Vol. 177 Issue 3, p54
The article reports that a natural-color sapphires, estimated at 14 million carats, has been discovered on a 75,000-acre private estate near Ellerston in Australia. It offers information about the characteristics of the sapphires. According to Gerry Manning of Manning International in New York,...
- Blue rules. Peel, Michael // New Internationalist;Dec2000, Issue 330, p8
Reports on the increased sapphire mining activities in the Madagascar regions of Sakaraha and Ilakaka. Poor farmers' abandonment of their fields to focus on sapphire mining; Estimated amount of the sapphire market; Concerns raised by environmental and social groups on the safety of those...
- Sapphire prospectors invade Madagascar. Ramarosaona, James // New York Amsterdam News;04/29/99, Vol. 90 Issue 18, p2
Reports on the surge in the number of people going to Madagascar, to prospect sapphire.
- RICH PICKINGS. // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Dec2002, Vol. 74 Issue 12, p44
Presents a number of photographs showing the environmental and social disasters attributed to sapphire mining in Madagascar.
- Case Study Madagascar: Progress and Development through Education. Cushman, Tom // Gems & Gemology;2006, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p161
Although blessed with abundant mineral wealth, Madagascar is one of the world's poorest countries. It was known since the 1890s as "L'Ile des Beryls," or "Island of Beryls," though more recently it has become an important source of sapphires and rubies. The gem deposits of Madagascar are...
- Nondestructive methods of controlling the surface nanorelief by the example of sapphire substrates. Asadchikov, V. E.; Butashin, A. V.; Volkov, Yu. O.; Grischenko, Yu. V.; Deryabin, A. N.; Zanaveskin, M. L.; Kanevskii, V. M.; Kozhevnikov, I. V.; Roschin, B. S.; Tikhonov, E. O.; Tolstikhina, A. L.; Fedorov, V. A. // Inorganic Materials;Dec2009, Vol. 45 Issue 14, p1635
The paper deals with the study of the roughness parameters of sapphire substrates as studied by atomic force microscopy and X-ray dispersion. It is shown that the functions of the central power density of the roughness height calculated from data of both methods are in good agreement. A complex...
- MineCore Targets Sapphire, Ammolite, and Gold. Gresham, Aimie // Equities;May2008, Vol. 57 Issue 4, p132
The article profiles MineCore International Inc., an exploration company based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The company owns 15,000 hectares of sapphire-bearing property in Madagascar, 1,000 hectares of sapphire-bearing property in Madagascar, 1,000 hectares of ammonite-bearing property in...
- Montana. // Engineering & Mining Journal (00958948);Oct95, Vol. 196 Issue 10, p20
Reports on American Gem Corp.'s sapphire production at its Dry Cottonwood and Gem Mountain mines in Montana.
- `Nature's perfect imperfections'. Sethi, Parvinder S. // World & I;Dec97, Vol. 12 Issue 12, p186
Features rubies and sapphires, the brilliantly colored gems which are variants of the mineral corundum. Sources of rubies and sapphires; Form and morphology; Comparison between ruby and sapphire crystals; Exquisite beauty and aesthetic play of colors; Therapeutic effects; Color, shade and...