- Drug Therapy for Obesity. Dickerson, Lori M.; Carek, Peter J. // American Family Physician;4/1/2000, Vol. 61 Issue 7, p2131
Recommends drug therapy as treament for obesity. Etiology of obesity; Assessment of an obese person; Details on pharmacologic therapy.
- Americans losing battle of the bulge. E.B. // Medical Update;Jul96, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p1
Reports that about a third of overweight Americans are inactive during their leisure hours. Results of a telephone survey conducted in 1996; Advice for American adults to engage in rigorous physical activities.
- Fighting fat. Jacobson, Michael F. // Nutrition Action Health Letter;May95, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p3
Advocates for a network that would prevent obesity among Americans. Information about overweight persons; Increase in the number of overweight teens in the 1980s; Existence of a culture that promotes less physical activity and more eating.
- FIGHTING FAT: AMERICA'S NEW HEALTH WAR. Dyer, Nicole // Science World;10/18/2002, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p16
Focuses on obesity and overweight people in the U.S. INSETS: THE ENDOCRINE SYSTEM: HOW IT REGULATES WEIGHT CONTROL;TOO MUCH OF A TASTY THING?;SUPER-SIZE IT?;THE BIOLOGY OF HUNGER
- Dispelling myths about fat people. // Obesity & Health;Mar/Apr93, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p34
Discusses how a variety of myths about fat people have been perpetuated by society and how this practice has to stop. How a fat person may have internalized this type of abuse; Myths and accompanying facts to dispel the myths; More.
- Assessing size attitudes. // Obesity & Health;Jan/Feb94, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p14
Offers a behavior assessment which can be used to evaluate a person's support for the health and well-being of large people. Adaptation from the book `Making Peace With Food: Freeing Yourself from the Diet/Weight Obsession,' by Susan Kano; 39-point checklist.
- ALL YOU CAN EAT. Miles, Al // Clergy Journal;Jan2002, Vol. 78 Issue 3, p16
Presents an article on the life of an obese person. Details of embarrassing incidents experienced; Efforts made to lose weight; View of the person's parents on eating.
- Obese and in the hospital. Costantino, Samuel R. // Patient Care;10/15/1997, Vol. 31 Issue 16, p9
Relates an individual's experience of when he was hospitalized because of breathing problems associated with obesity and his weight of 700 pounds. Problems he encountered because of his size; High probability of the average morbidly obese person needing hospitalization on an emergency basis.
- Community actions needed in fight against U.S. obesity. // Nation's Health;Feb2002, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p4
Focuses on the role of communities in combating the increase in overweight and obesity among United States citizens. Number of deaths linked to being overweight and obese; Strategies that may be used to address the problem of obesity and overweight.