Study: Families not Prepared for Fire
- UltraGuard Wins Product Innovation Award. // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Sep2005, Vol. 35 Issue 9, p16
This article reports that Geoffrey Winters, president and CEO of Electronic Control Systems, ILC/UltraGuard, Norwalk, Connecticut, accepts the 2005 Product Innovation for Consumer Safety Award from Meri-K Appy, president of the Home Safety Council, at the council's safety awards dinner in...
- Safety, MHz Heroes Honored. // Fire Chief;Apr2006, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p11
The article reports on recipients of awards presented by the United States Congressional Fire Services Institute's Board of Directors at the 18th Annual National Fire and Emergency Services Dinner in April 2006 in Washington, D.C. Meri-K Appy, president of the Home Safety Council, was given the...
- Reaching Out. Markley, Rick // Fire Chief;May2007, Vol. 51 Issue 5, p32
Information about effective teaching on fire prevention in communities discussed at the annual meeting of the Congressional Fire Services Institute the U.S. is presented. The meeting highlights the national fire and life-safety survey featuring public education and fire departments. It featured...
- Be safe at home. // Men's Health;Jan/Feb2009, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p62
The article presents various suggestions on preventing home accidents. According to Meri-K Appy, president of the Home Safety Council, for climbing every 4 feet, one should pull the ladder's base 1 foot back from the wall. Appy also suggests testing grill before using it after a cold snap, as a...
- SURVIVAL GUIDE. Schaaf, Rachelle Vander // Shape;Jul2007, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p192
The article presents suggestions related to healthcare during summer season. Meri-K Appy, president of the Home Safety Council nonprofit organization has stated that slapping on sunscreen and drinking a bottle of water aren't enough to truly protect oneself from dehydration or getting sunburned....
- Battling the quiet crisis. // Fire Chief;Jul2003, Vol. 47 Issue 7, p80
Interviews Home Safety Council president Meri-K Appy. Background of Appy in fire safety; Interaction of the council with the fire service; Development of the council's relationship with fire and emergency service providers.
- Doing Less with More. Holdeman, Eric // Emergency Management;Jan/Feb2013, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p48
In this article, the author comments on the reduction of federal homeland security funding for year 2013. The author argues that decreased funding must be the driver for disaster managers to work together. It notes that the role of disaster managers is to convene a coalition of people and...
- The final frontier. Corbett, Glenn P. // Fire Engineering;Mar2000, Vol. 153 Issue 3, p180
Presents a story about a fire department and fire emergency management in a place called Utopia. Actions taken by the fire officials to reduce the occurrence of fire and better handle fire emergencies; Campaign launched to educate the public on fire prevention.
- TVFD Holds Live Burn. // Trammel Trace Tribune (Tatum, TX);1/28/2010, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p2
The article offers information on the live burn training exercise organized by the Fire Department Tatum, Texas.