Voluntary System Proposed: Congress ponders immigration
- Hospital CEO urge immigration laws be loosened to aid nursing shortage. Brown, Steve // AHA News;05/28/2001, Vol. 37 Issue 21, p1
Reports that two hospital administrators have urged a United States Senate subcommittee to increase the flexibility in immigration policies to address the growing nursing shortage problem. Suggestions posed by Susan Page of Pratt Region Medical Center on resolving the problem; Comments from...
- Where do the people and innovation come from? McMullen, John F. // Westchester County Business Journal;03/02/98, Vol. 37 Issue 9, p17
Opinion. Focuses on the proposal by the high technology industry for the United States government to increase the number of immigrants allowed under H1-B rules. Opposition from union groups and information technology professionals; Impact of changes in corporate loyalties and research methods;...
- Visas reform could solve tech shortfall. Pedone, Rose-Robin // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);06/22/98, Vol. 45 Issue 25, p5A
Highlights the debate over a visas reform bill that could provide immediate relief to the United States' shortage of technology workers. Efforts of educators and business leaders in Long Island, New York to address the problem; Aspects of a measure that would allow firms to continue to recruit...
- Together again. Howard, L.; Cerio, G. // Newsweek;1/14/1991, Vol. 117 Issue 2, p6
Asserts that Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey and actress Debra Winger were together again for the holidays, vacationing in Paris between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Also notes that some believe the Winger connection is beneficial for Kerrey's career.
- Stripping off the straitjacket. Alter, J. // Newsweek;12/2/1991, Vol. 118 Issue 23, p29
Comments on recent incidents and speeches in reference to the 1992 presidential campaign and states that any seemingly unscripted, offhand comment or joke is seen as `revealing,' while any prepared speech is viewed as contrived. Media attention Sen. Bob Kerrey's offensive joke about lesbians...
- Roman Catholic tastes. Birnbaum, Jesse // Time;2/20/1995, Vol. 145 Issue 7, p83
Comments on Senator Bob Kerrey's embarrassment after finding out that, although he had been receiving Communion in the Roman Catholic Church for more than a year, it was against church rules because he is Protestant.
- Quote of the week. // Human Events;2/16/96, Vol. 52 Issue 6, p1
Presents a quote from US Senator Bob Kerrey asserting that President Bill Clinton is a good liar.
- Looking back at Vietnam. Galloway, J.L. // U.S. News & World Report;7/15/91, Vol. 111 Issue 3, p28
Presents an interview with Sen. Bob Kerrey (D-Neb.), who received the Medal of Honor for his service as a Navy SEAL in the Vietnam War, and recently returned from his second visit in two years. Considers such subjects as, among others, life in Vietnam, what should be done and prospects for...
- Bob Kerrey's odyssey. Boyer, P.J. // Vanity Fair;Jan92, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p98
Follows the presidential campaign of Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska. How his Vietnam experience changed his life; His relationship with actress Debra Winger; His years as Nebraska Governor; His restaurant career; Kerrey's political message .