Taking A Healthy Walk
- Palo Alto schools test organic meals. // Food Management;Jul2002, Vol. 37 Issue 7, p20
Reports the availability of organic meals in school cafeterias in Palo Alto, California. Advantages of organic foods; Information on a pilot program about organic products in school canteens; Problems in implementing the program.
- The Farm-to-Preschool Model. Teece, Sara M. // Exchange (19460406);Mar/Apr2013, Issue 210, p66
The article discusses Farm-to-Preschool, a nutrition plan for early childhood education centers based on providing children with fresh produce developed by the Massachusetts child care center Square One. To implement a similar program, the author suggests developing strong relationships with...
- Labor, menu mgmt. are top concerns. // FoodService Director;12/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 12, p68
Reports on a 1998 compensation study in college food service establishments in the United States by the `FoodService Director' periodical. Comparative earnings of men and women; Decline in the number of students working in dining units; Problems in maintaining operating expenses; Profile of...
- Women's pay rises 3.7% on '98 W-2s. // FoodService Director;12/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 12, p69
Reports on a study by the `FoodService Director' periodical on the compensation of school food service operators in the United States. Increase of 3.7 percent in the salaries of women; Industry challenges according to food service executives; Profile of Dennis Barrett, executive director of...
- Chicago School Workers Survey: Kids Not Eating Healthy New Options. // Food Management Exclusive Insight;1/25/2012, p6
The article discusses a survey of 436 foodservice workers in the Chicago Public School system cafeterias showing that children are not eating healthy foods that workers call for changes in the school meal program and having kitchens in schools to provide fresh foods instead of frozen replacements.
- NEWS. // FoodService Director;2/15/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p8
Presents updates on the food service industry in the U.S. as of February 15, 2005. Challenges faced by school food service directors; Information on the winners of the Foodservice Achievement Management Excellence Award.
- CIA Opens Kitchens to Schools. // FoodService Director;7/15/2013, Vol. 26 Issue 7, p10
The article focuses on the initiative of The Culinary Institute of America in opening its kitchen to school foodservice professionals from seven districts for the Schwan's Food Service Getting Back to Your Roots Symposium in San Antonio, Texas in April 2013.
- Govt feeds Â£21m to the School Food Trust over three years. // Education (14637073);2/8/2008, Issue 299, p3
The article presents information about the School Food Trust in Great Britain. The group works to improve the quality of school food. The funding increase will help support the training of school caterers as well as educate parents and students about nutrition. The School FEAST Network is...
- Hip, Healthy Cafe Helps High School Up Sales. Buzalka, Mike // Food Management;Jul2004, Vol. 39 Issue 8, p0
Focuses on the Health Nut Cafe at Hopkins High School in Hopkins, Minnesota. College-style deli station offering to-order sandwiches made with a choice of natural ingredient breads, premium meats and fresh toppings; Conceptualization of the cafe by Hopkins food service director Bertrand Weber;...