Teaching Kids Local
- Two Meals for the Price of One: Michigan schools combine breakfast/lunch pricing. Silver, Sheldon // FoodService Director;07/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p40
Reports that Oak Ridge Public School District in Muskegon, Michigan is combining its breakfast and lunch into a single-price ticket for both. How district business manager Jimmy Derezinski thought of the idea; Description of the menu; How some students felt about the Federal meals program.
- RESULT OF CHIEF PARTNERSHIP: Ethnic dishes join regular menus at St. Paul Schools. // FoodService Director;07/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p22
Reports on the addition of ethnic dishes in regular menus at Saint Paul, Minnesota public schools. Change in rice offering; Menu choices for supervisors; Information on the so-called comfort foods.
- Canton Public School District's Summer Feeding Program. // Jackson Advocate;7/25/2013, Vol. 75 Issue 42, p1B
The article reports on free meals enjoyed by children which was offered by Summer Feeding Program of the Canton Public School District in Mississippi and mentions that meals were served from June 3-12, 2013 along with facility of transportation to the location for children.
- THINKING AWAY FROM THE BOX: Menu overhaul in Ga. schools adds culture, healthier options. Bond, Marian // FoodService Director;11/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 11, p28
Focuses on the food service program implemented by official Carole Rowe at Savannah Chatham County Public Schools in Georgia. List of food served to students; Establishment of a test kitchen for recipe development; Challenges faced by Rowe.
- A Third Meal at School. Williams, Courtney // District Administration;Jul2012, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p24
The article discusses the Kansas City, Missouri Public Schools after-school dinner program. It cites the district's partnership with Harvester, a community food bank, to provide a more substantial meal in more elementary schools. The program expanded to 18 elementary schools in January 2012 with...
- JPS Summer Feeding Program. // Jackson Advocate;6/5/2014, Vol. 76 Issue 35, p2A
The article offers information on Summer Feeding Program by the Jackson Public Schools' Food Service Department to address the hunger needs of students under age 18 from June 2 - July 18, 2014 at several locations in Jackson, Mississippi such as Boyd Elementary School and Lake Elementary school.
- School contractors applaud bill to cut nutrition programs. Kapner, Suzanne // Nation's Restaurant News;4/3/95, Vol. 29 Issue 14, p3
Reports on the reaction of school foodservice contractors in the United States to the bill that would cut nutrition programs in public schools. Expected impact of the bill on food services; Expected wider market penetration; Expected strategies of school districts that would benefit the...
- WITH JACKMONT AS PARTNER: SODEXHO INKS ATLANTA. // FoodService Director;9/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p8
Reports on a food service contract signed by the Atlanta Public Schools (APS) in Georgia with Sodexho, as of September 2003. Background on the implementation of school feeding programs by Sodexho in Atlanta schools; Information on the partnership between Sodexho and food service contractor...
- Can incentive programs encourage kids to make healthier cafeteria choices? // Curriculum Review;Feb2005, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p11
Reports on the participation of the Buffalo, New York school system in the anti-obesity initiative Be a Power Eater: The Good Food for Great Kids Program in 2005. Reward tiers of the program; Organizations that compose the P2 Collaborative of Western New York, the creator of the program;...