Etzioni's new theory: a synthesis of liberal and communitarian views
- Individualism, Communitarianism, and Docility. // Social Research;Winter1989, Vol. 56 Issue 4, p921
The article focuses on the philosophy of communitarianism and French philosopher Michel Foucault's idea of docility. It reports that an attack on liberalism is, in fact, an attack on right-based individualism. The author argues against the communitarian critique of right-based individualism and...
- The Global Community, Religion, and Education: The Modernity of Dewey's Social Philosophy. Tr�hler, Daniel // Studies in Philosophy & Education;Mar2000, Vol. 19 Issue 1/2, p159
As a starting point this paper takes Dewey's nowadays often stressed modernity and examines his social philosophy against the background of the current debates on republicanism and communitarianism. Particularly, the anaysis of Dewey's The Public and its Problem (1927) concludes that the...
- Liberal Kamusal Alan: Rawls'un Uzlasimci Liberal Kï¿½ltï¿½rï¿½. M�ft�oglu, Aydin // Sivil Toplum: Dusunce & Aastirma Dergisi;2003, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p31
The liberal tradition, always defined the public realm stemming from different social problems. In our age, the liberal thinkers needed to redefine the public realm stemming from present social problems. The demands for equality in liberal democracies implied that the concept of public realm...
- Crisis, what crisis? Leadbeater, Charles // New Statesman;6/28/96, Vol. 125 Issue 4290, p17
Comments on the debate between liberals and communitarians over the state of the British economy. Liberalism's central claim that social progress is best measured by the expansion of choice; Overstated case against economic liberalism; Flaw of candidates to replace the market as the guiding...
- Reform Liberalism Reconsidered. Cha, In-Suk // Diogenes;2000, Vol. 48 Issue 192, p97
Reconsiders reform liberalism in the United States. Persistence of the liberal-communitarian debate in social and political philosophy during the 1980s; Advocacy of the values of capitalism and liberalism in reform liberalism; Conception of big government.
- Particular Values and Critical Morality. Waldron, Jeremy // California Law Review;May89, Vol. 77 Issue 3, p561
Criticizes the idea of communitarianism. Concept of communitarianism; Communitarian response to critical liberalism; Details on the framework for analyzing the communitarian response.
- KAIROS OF HISTORICAL ALTERNATIVE: LIBERALISM, GLOBALISM, TERRORISM--OR METANOIA, DIALOGUE, SYNERGY, SYMPATHY, UNIVERSAL CIVILIZATION. // Dialogue & Universalism;2001, Vol. 11 Issue 11/12, p5
Editorial. Introduces a series of articles published in the 2001 issue of the journal 'Dialogue and Universalism.' Focus on the history of Kairos; Lists of concepts on intellectual conscience of the world; Impact of terrorism on liberalism.
- BAKHTINIAN THOUGHT AND THE DEFENCE OF NARRATIVE: OVERCOMING UNIVERSALISM AND RELATIVISM. Owen, Hana M. // Cosmos & History;2011, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p136
In light of continuing global issues including the prevalence of various levels and forms of inequality and increased environmental destruction, there is a growing recognition of the limitations, epistemological, political, social, cultural, ethical and ecological, of the modes of thought that...
- Sociology Making a Difference. Wood, Brennon // New Zealand Sociology;2003, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p24
This article offers a reflection on sociology. The difference that sociology makes is on the agenda and difference is not a simple concept. According to the tenets of academic purism, sociologists make a difference by constituting a unique discipline within the epistemic manifold of the...