Adult literacy rates in African and Eastern Mediterranean countries
- Literacy report makes front page. // NEA Today;Dec93, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p16
Focuses on the findings of the `Adult Literacy in America' report prepared by the Department of Education. Number of adults with difficulties in basic literacy tasks; Literacy rating in three categories; Task range; Relationship of income level with educational attainment.
- Practitioners. // Literacy Today;Mar2009, Issue 58, p24
The article reports on the result of the research which aimed to understand more about literacy practitioners their nature of practices in various contexts in New Zealand. The result found that 91% of practitioners were women and notes that one of the most commonly reasons for working in adult...
- Americans land in middle of international literacy scale. Viadero, Debra // Education Week;12/13/95, Vol. 15 Issue 15, p6
Presents statistical information on the first international survey of adult literacy conducted by Statistics Canada, and an international policy group made up of industrial countries. Findings; Contact number for more information on survey. INSET: Literacy performance levels..
- APPENDIX C: Technical Notes. // Literacy in Everyday Life: Results from the 2003 National Assess;2007, p99
Sampling, data collection, weighting and variance estimation, scaling and statistical testing procedure used to collect and analyze data for the 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL) published in the book "Literacy in Everyday Life: Results from the 2003 National Assessment of Adult...
- CONSIDERAÃ‡Ã•ES SOBRE ALFABETIZAÃ‡ÃƒO E LETRAMENTO: ANALISANDO OS DADOS DO INAF. Mezzari, Vanessa Caroline; Duarte Freitas, Maria do Carmo; Wildauer, Egon Walter; Parreira da Silva, Guilherme // Revista Percurso;2014, following p17
Conceptualizes and discuss the process of beginning literacy and literacy in Brazil, debating the terms used like: illiteracy, functional literacy, literacy, rudimentary level, basic level, full level and beginning literacy. Equates these expressions, which have analogous concepts, to understand...
- GUIDED READING--AN INSTRUCTIONAL FRAMEWORK FOR ADULTS. Massengill, Donita // Adult Basic Education;Fall2003, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p168
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the impact of the Guided Reading instructional framework in teaching four low-literate adults. Specific attention was given to word recognition. Single-participant design with multiple baseline across behaviors was the main quantitative method used in...
- Finding a voice: Writing for empowerment. Mealey, Donna L. // Reading Today;Feb/Mar91, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p24
This article recommends the incorporation of writing into adult literacy programs. Many adult literacy programs are commercially prepared, skills-oriented materials. These packages give volunteer tutors structure, ready-made lessons, and a sense of security. However, using solely these materials...
- Brazil. Cardoso-Martins, Claudia; Eakle, A. Jonathan; Garber, Andrew M. // Reading Research Quarterly;Oct-Dec2003, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p526
Presents an overview of a report on literacy research in Brazil. Relation of phonological awareness with reading ability in Brazilian Portuguese; Project designed to generate a national index of functional literacy; Impact of race on reading performance.
- What's Hot for 2011. Cassidy, Jack; Ortlieb, Evan; Shettel, Jennifer // Reading Today;Dec2010, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p1
The article discusses the reports of the International Reading Association (IRA) for 2010 in the U.S. It mentions that adolescent literacy is considered as one of the most in interesting topics which appeared in the survey since 2001 of IRA's Adolescent & Adult Literacy. An overview of the...