Thermal Injury with Contemporary Cast-Application Techniques and Methods to Circumvent Morbidity
- Cast Away. // Current Health 1;Nov2006, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p4
This article focuses on the advantages of the Velcro splint over orthopedic plaster casts.
- Splint equal to cast for wrist buckle fracture in children. // Journal of Family Practice;Jun2006, Vol. 55 Issue 6, p476
The article examines whether children with wrist buckle fractures have better physical functioning when treated with a removable splint than with a short arm cast. Cast immobilization seems to be the preferred method of treatment in North America, while splints are more commonly used in Great...
- The use of external fixators in the immobilization of pediatric fractures. Norman, D.; Peskin, B.; Ehrenraich, A.; Rosenberg, N.; Bar-Joseph, G.; Bialik, V. // Archives of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery;Jul2002, Vol. 122 Issue 7, p379
The use of external fixation in the immobilization of diaphyseal and metaphyseal fractures in children is still controversial, as these fractures are generally managed by immediate plaster casting, by traction followed by casting, by various methods of internal fixation, including the recently...
- Casting: U-slabs. Drozd, Mary; Miles, Sue; Davies, Jenny // Emergency Nurse;Oct2009, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p20
This article continues a short series of articles on how to apply casts. It examines how U-slabs should be applied following fracture of the shaft of the humerus.
- Cast versus splint in children with minimally angulated fractures of the distal radius: a randomized controlled trial. Boutis, Kathy; Willan, Andrew; Babyn, Paul; Goeree, Ron; Howard, Andrew // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;10/5/2010, Vol. 182 Issue 14, p1507
Background: Minimally angulated fractures of the distal radius are common in children and have excellent outcomes. We conducted a randomized controlled trial to determine whether the use of a prefabricated splint is as effective as a cast in the recovery of physical function. Methods: We...
- The occasional short-leg cast. Brock, Gordon // Canadian Journal of Rural Medicine;Winter2001, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p48
Presents procedure on the application of cast to ankle or foot injuries. Materials needed for the procedure; Directions for the application of cast padding; Importance of supporting the cast against the chest.
- Casting and Splinting. // American Family Physician;1/1/2009, Vol. 79 Issue 1, p1
The article offers information about casting and splinting. It describes casts and splints as well as what are they made of and compares the difference between the two. It states that a splint usually stays on for several days to weeks but in case of a cast, the doctor will tell the patient how...
- Is splinting of distal radius torus fractures an acceptable alternative to casting? Walker, J. Kendall; Kane, Kevin Y. // Journal of Family Practice;Apr2002, Vol. 51 Issue 4, p382
The article discusses research being done on the use of splinting of distal radius torus fractures as an acceptable alternative to casting. It references the study by J. S. Davidson et al published in the 2001 issue of the "Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery." The researchers conducted a survey...
- RADIOLOGY Review. Hichkad, Nandan R. // Clinician Reviews;Mar2010, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p10
This article describes the evaluation of neck and right hand of a 57-year-old man involved in a motor vehicle crash. Radiograph of his right hand showed subtle linear lucencies, consistent with fractures but reveals no deformity. The patient was initially supported with a splint and later with a...