Early Marriage and Motherhood in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Mary grows up. Hazleton, Lesley // Women's Review of Books;Jul2003, Vol. 20 Issue 10/11, p12
Presents an article on early motherhood, single parents and teenage marriages. Views on the events depicted in the Gospel; Facets of the life of Virgin Mary; Controversy over teenage pregnancy.
- Early Motherhood and Contraceptive Use among Adolescents: A Study from Rajshahi District of Bangladesh. Rahman, M. M. // Journal of Nepal Paediatric Society;2010, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p8
Introduction: This paper employs various statistical methods to identify the factors associated with age at first motherhood and contraception use among the adolescence mothers in Rajshahi district of Bangladesh. Methods: To meets the objectives this study utilizes information from 1000 married...
- MOST CHILD BRIDES ALREADY PREGNANT WHEN THEY MARRIED. // Ebony;Mar1953, Vol. 8 Issue 5, p28
The article reports that in many child marriages, the young bride is already pregnant even before the wedding ceremony gets underway.
- EFFECTS OF FEMALE AGE AT MARRIAGE ON BIRTH ORDER AND UTILISATION OF MOTHERHOOD SERVICES: A DISTRICT LEVEL ANALYSIS. Marimuthu, P. // Journal of Family Welfare;Jun2008, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p79
The article focuses on the findings of a study conducted by P. Marimuthu regarding the impact of women's age at marriage on birth order and utilisation of motherhood services in India. The study shows that around 50% of female were married before the age of 16 years and one in three marriages...
- Education for All: Gender Equity in Kenya. Branyon, Jill B. // Delta Kappa Gamma Bulletin;Winter2005, Vol. 71 Issue 2, p8
While "Education tor All" is the slogan for most nations of the globe, the reality of gender equity is far from ideal. In Kenya, girls are often kept out of school due lo limited family budgets, the need for their employment or services, early marriage, early pregnancies, and other factors....
- Whose family whose values. // Off Our Backs;Nov96, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p4
Opinion. Comments on the Orange County Social Services Agency of solving teenage pregnancy cases by marrying the girl and man. Marrying of thirteen year old girl to her twenty year old boyfriend; Applicability of statutory rape laws.
- Anthropometric Assessment for Adolescent Pregnancy: A Descriptive Study on Married Aadolescents in Bangladesh. Haque, Nuruzzaman // Journal of Nepal Paediatric Society;2010, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p154
Background: Adolescent childbearing has emerged as a major concern in Bangladesh due to its shorter term adverse effects on both the mothers and babies born to adolescent mothers. Bangladesh is one of the vulnerable countries in the world and the most vulnerable country in South Asian region...
- ISSUES IN GIRL-CHILD EDUCATION IN NIGERIA: IMPLICATIONS FOR LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SUPPORT. Goodluck, I. Ifijeh; Odaro, Osayande // Gender & Behaviour;2011, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p4139
Girl-child education has become a matter of concern to stakeholders in Nigeria. This study examines the concept of and crucial issues in girl-child education. It identifies socio-cultural patterns, religious misconceptions, poverty, teenage pregnancy and early marriage amongst others as factors...
- Recommendations on early childhood marriage/pregnancy. // Women's International Network News;Spring91, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p33
Presents recommendations made by the Inter-African Committee on early childhood marriage and pregnancy. Includes a legislation to increase the minimum age for leaving school and for marrying; Sensitizing of people involved on the harmful effects of early marriage and pregnancy; Change in the...