- People... // Educational Marketer;3/3/2003, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p8
Reports on developments in the career of Gordon Macomber, Mary McPherson and Harry Barfoot, executives in the educational publishing industry.
- Scholastic learning ventures ups focus on Reading Counts! with new position. // Electronic Education Report;01/19/2000, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p6
Reports on the naming of Harry Barfoot as president and general manager of Scholastic Learning Ventures. Computer-based activities provided by the company that motivate children to read; Focus on its product `Scholastic Reading Counts!'; Effect of the success in the sales of the product on the...
- (FUNDING) Delaware Taxes Payday Loans for Financial Literacy Program. // Aging News Alert;11/12/2010, p1
The article reports state government of Delaware has started a 200,000 dollars Financial Literacy Education Fund (FLEF) derived from a fee charged on payday loans. Delaware governor Jack Markell recently signed a legislation requiring businesses to pay an annual high-cost loan license fee of...
- Literacy in the inner city. Perkins, Fran Davis; Strutchens, Marilyn // Teaching Pre K-8;May94, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p58
No abstract available.
- Tried and true practices. Manning, Gary; Manning, Maryann // Teaching Pre K-8;May96, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p106
Lists 25 tried and true ideas for making literacy programs outstanding. Includes reading aloud a good book in the classroom; Sustained silent reading as a strategy for promoting independent reading; Points to remember when practicing shared reading.
- Getting disenchanted adolescents to participate in school literacy activities: Portfolio... Young, Josephine Peyto; Mathews, Samuel R. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Feb97, Vol. 40 Issue 5, p348
Focuses on a portfolio process implemented at an alternative secondary school which encouraged resistant students to join in school-related literacy activities. Definition of portfolios; Description of the process; Student reaction to the process.
- Literacy in postcolonial Malaysia. Pandian, Ambigapathy // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Feb97, Vol. 40 Issue 5, p402
Focuses on the literacy campaign in Malaysia. Meaning of literacy; Description of the conditions in the country after its independence from Great Britain in 1957; Literacy figures; Description of the literacy campaign; Issues linked to literacy.
- Recommended books in Spanish on the Web. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Mar97, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p4986
No abstract available.
- Literacy acquisition through literature. Langer, Judith A. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;May97, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p606
Provides insight into a literacy acquisition project conducted at a high school on the lower east side of Manhattan, New York through the National Research Center on English Learning and Achievement (CELA). Assessment of literacy acquisition among high school students from the Dominican...