The effect of state anti-takeover laws on board composition
- The Green Lobby. Rennie, Philip; Phillips, Brandon // BRW;05/28/99, Vol. 21 Issue 20, p18
Reports on the practice of `greenmail' whereby minority shareholders are able to prevent the major shareholder from compulsorily acquiring shares. How the minority shareholders can then demand a high price; Australian federal government considering a change to the Corporations Law that would...
- CAN ANTITAKEOVER ACTIVITY REALLY CREATE WEALTH? EVIDENCE FROM AUSTRALIA. Armstrong, Scott; Lange, Helen; Woo, Li-Anne // Asia Pacific Journal of Management;Oct1994, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p327
This paper examines management-induced antitakeover activity which occurred in Australia in the late 1980s. The particular event studied is unique in Australia and requires shareholder approval to amend a company's Articles of Association to incorporate an antitakeover clause. The results show...
- Shareholder vote nails Lowe's board. Speizer, Irwin // Business North Carolina;Aug2003, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p15
Deals with a resolution that urges Lowe's Cos. to disregard an anti-takeover measure in Wilkesboro, North Carolina. Results of scandals and shareholder activism in the company; Views on the corporate management needs of Lowe's; Significance of the resolution to the company.
- Mergers and Acquisitions in Russian Legal Framework and Their Impact on Economy. Shkol'nik, Mikhail I.; Popov, Zakhar V. // European Researcher;2013, Vol. 50 Issue 5-3, p1438
The article is concerned with different approaches to the notions "merger" and "acquisition" in legal science, analyses Russian practice and compares it with the foreign one and considers the impact of mergers and acquisitions on modern economy, as mergers and acquisitions are crucial for the...
- Federalism and corporate law: The race to protect managers from takeovers. Bebchuk, Lucian Arye; Ferrell, Allen // Columbia Law Review;Jun99, Vol. 99 Issue 5, p1168
Analyzes important shortcomings of state competition in corporate law in the United States. Development of state takeover law; Effects of restrictive takeover law on managers' interests; Provision of rules for the protection of incumbent managers; Supporters of state competition.
- Antitakeover measures: Deterrent or delusion? // ABA Banking Journal;Jun86, Vol. 78 Issue 6, p27
Focuses on the need of the Chase Manhattan Corp. for an antitakeover provisions for the corporation. Maintenance of customer relationships; Communication with shareholders; Restriction on corporation law.
- From the hustings. // Mergers & Acquisitions: The Dealermaker's Journal;Sep/Oct99, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p60
Presents antitakeover laws adopted by companies in the United States. Includes details on compensation restriction law; Control share acquisition law; Control share cash-out law; Fair price law; Freeze-out law; Greenmail restriction statutes; Statutes on labor contracts and severance pay.
- WILL ANTI-TAKEOVER LAWS WORK? Marcotte, Paul // ABA Journal;May88, Vol. 74 Issue 5, p25
Reports on developments concerning corporate anti-takeover law in the U.S. Strategies and tactics in corporate takeovers; Restrictions imposed by the anti-takekover law; Moratorium on mergers involving stockholders who purchase large stocks.
- Bill would make poison pills harder to pop. Cornell, Ryan // Crain's Cleveland Business;7/16/2001-7/22/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 29, p18
Focuses on a proposed legislative bill that would restrict hostile takeovers in Ohio. Additional authority of boards of directors at targeted companies under the proposal; Key provisions of the bill.